ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving From America to England

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rory
Newly Registered

Moving From America to England

Post by rory » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:42 pm

First off: I'm new here. I apologise if I've placed this in the wrong section. If I have, please feel free to let me know! :?

I asked this question on Yahoo! Answers, but, as per usual, all I received were rude, ridiculous, irrelevant replies. I happened upon this forum and I'm really hopeful that I'll be able to find some quality guidance!

Before I get into my question, I would first like to ask that I receive only answers to my questions ... not judgment. I can understand why I would be judged based on my sexuality, age, knowledge, nationality, etc. But, I'm not here for that, and shan't reply to such immaturity, so there's no point in bringing such ideas here. Thank you.

General information: I am a 17-year-old female in my final year of high school. I am hopeful to move to England for a permanent stay following the completion of my collegiate-level education. My girlfriend is an English citizen. I wish to become a psychiatrist, and therefore this shall require me to receive a Doctorate through attending med school.

Now, I'm not well-versed in immigrating/emigrating/etc. I will admit that. However, this is my plan: I am hopeful to attend and study at Richmond, The American International University in London. I received a lot of scrutiny for this on Yahoo! Answers, and I would first like to start off by saying I have done extensive research on not only this institution of higher education in particular, but also British Universities in general ... I may not be an expert in the field, but I am aware of the international student expenses, so please do not refer me to checking these out. I am aware, thank you, lol. The reason I plan on attending Richmond is due to the fact that its requirements and application process are both quite similar to that of various American schools I was planning to apply to anyway. I plan on studying at Richmond for a year (the reason I am so confident in the idea that I shall be accepted is because I've already looked into this .. I have consulted the American representatives of this school, and I am a strong applicant with very high credentials as is), and then transferring to either the University of Nottingham or Derby for the rest of my education. This is my short-term plan for legally staying in the UK.

What I am unsure of is how I will be able to stay permanently in the UK, and gain citizenship following the completion of my education. What can I do? What should my plan/goals/etc. be? What must I do now to better my chances for the future? What are my options?

Please consider these two ideas which I've already mentioned:
1. I will have a Doctorate degree, and therefore rather quality qualifications. I am aware that I would need work experience in my home country, which is why I am intending on perhaps returning home for my med school education so that my practicum here could help me with receiving an internship or position of some sort in my field of study which could be used as this "work experience."
2. Like I said, my girlfriend is English. I am aware that England has same-sex civil partnerships, and I have looked into these a smidgen. I understand that, in some cases, these can work similarly to how a citizen of one country could marry a citizen of another country into their country ... though, as I said, I am not well-versed in this and am rather uncertain on how this relates to my personal situation.

Thank you, and again ... please, do not judge me. I have no interest in judging you, and I'd respect it if you could assist me in my issue rather than scrutinizing my life.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Do you mean you want to do a PhD or a medicine degree, or both? What is the equivalent to "collegiate-level" education in the British education system?

I am confused about your plans for study. However, there is a route to settlement and then citizenship that takes eleven years if you were here as a student. If you returned back to your home country that could reset your clock to zero. There are work routes but the rules change and may not be the same once you have completed your studies.

Look here for information about the civil partnership route:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... spouse-cp/

I hope I don't ever need psychiatric treatment from you.

potcakes
Newly Registered

Post by potcakes » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Personally I feel that anyone who is in a position to want to help you is either having second thoughts or a large brandy. When you post anything on the internet you are at the mercy of wierdos, trolls etc and you have to accept that, and either ignore them or simply dont post anything. But to come afresh to an internet site and be as agressive as you are sounding isnt a good start for you either. There are many good people on this site with excellent moderators who keep a good eye on what is posted.
There are many different relationships in life and almost every country has a relevent visa to accommodate the many different relationships in society, you are not the only same sex couple out there!!!

However your journey ends/ progresses I wish you all the luck in the world.

rory
Newly Registered

Post by rory » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:43 am

potcakes wrote:Personally I feel that anyone who is in a position to want to help you is either having second thoughts or a large brandy. When you post anything on the internet you are at the mercy of wierdos, trolls etc and you have to accept that, and either ignore them or simply dont post anything. But to come afresh to an internet site and be as agressive as you are sounding isnt a good start for you either. There are many good people on this site with excellent moderators who keep a good eye on what is posted.
There are many different relationships in life and almost every country has a relevent visa to accommodate the many different relationships in society, you are not the only same gender couple out there!!!

However your journey ends/ progresses I wish you all the luck in the world.
lol, sorry .. I can understand your viewpoint. It becomes a bit agitating when people are idiotic simply for the sake of being so. I felt as though I had to be a bit "aggressive" because I just wanted to present the idea that ... well, idc. So, if someone had said something rude to try and get a rise out of me, I wasn't going to bother replying ... that's all. I was just getting my point across so I wouldn't look a bit silly when I didn't bother to defend myself following any scrutiny. :') It was a disclaimer, if anything?

ruskcake

Re: Moving From America to England

Post by ruskcake » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:24 am

rory wrote:First off: I'm new here. I apologise if I've placed this in the wrong section. If I have, please feel free to let me know! :?

I asked this question on Yahoo! Answers, but, as per usual, all I received were rude, ridiculous, irrelevant replies. I happened upon this forum and I'm really hopeful that I'll be able to find some quality guidance!

Before I get into my question, I would first like to ask that I receive only answers to my questions ... not judgment. I can understand why I would be judged based on my sexuality, age, knowledge, nationality, etc. But, I'm not here for that, and shan't reply to such immaturity, so there's no point in bringing such ideas here. Thank you.

General information: I am a 17-year-old female in my final year of high school. I am hopeful to move to England for a permanent stay following the completion of my collegiate-level education. My girlfriend is an English citizen. I wish to become a psychiatrist, and therefore this shall require me to receive a Doctorate through attending med school.

Now, I'm not well-versed in immigrating/emigrating/etc. I will admit that. However, this is my plan: I am hopeful to attend and study at Richmond, The American International University in London. I received a lot of scrutiny for this on Yahoo! Answers, and I would first like to start off by saying I have done extensive research on not only this institution of higher education in particular, but also British Universities in general ... I may not be an expert in the field, but I am aware of the international student expenses, so please do not refer me to checking these out. I am aware, thank you, lol. The reason I plan on attending Richmond is due to the fact that its requirements and application process are both quite similar to that of various American schools I was planning to apply to anyway. I plan on studying at Richmond for a year (the reason I am so confident in the idea that I shall be accepted is because I've already looked into this .. I have consulted the American representatives of this school, and I am a strong applicant with very high credentials as is), and then transferring to either the University of Nottingham or Derby for the rest of my education. This is my short-term plan for legally staying in the UK.

What I am unsure of is how I will be able to stay permanently in the UK, and gain citizenship following the completion of my education. What can I do? What should my plan/goals/etc. be? What must I do now to better my chances for the future? What are my options?

Please consider these two ideas which I've already mentioned:
1. I will have a Doctorate degree, and therefore rather quality qualifications. I am aware that I would need work experience in my home country, which is why I am intending on perhaps returning home for my med school education so that my practicum here could help me with receiving an internship or position of some sort in my field of study which could be used as this "work experience."
2. Like I said, my girlfriend is English. I am aware that England has same-gender civil partnerships, and I have looked into these a smidgen. I understand that, in some cases, these can work similarly to how a citizen of one country could marry a citizen of another country into their country ... though, as I said, I am not well-versed in this and am rather uncertain on how this relates to my personal situation.

Thank you, and again ... please, do not judge me. I have no interest in judging you, and I'd respect it if you could assist me in my issue rather than scrutinizing my life.
Would it not be easier for your girlfriend to join and live with you in the USA?

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:11 am

The advice from this wrinkly to someone only 17 years old is - don't expect to arrange the rest of your life right now. How you view the world could change massively within a few years. If you have a place at the American University in Richmond, go for it. It's close to Richmond Park, and that part of South-West London is very pleasant, and not far from all the benefits that living in one of the world's great cities can offer you. If you then can get a place at a well-established university such as Nottingham, then go for that as well.

Once you have a university degree you can start looking at the options available to you on a personal and professional level, either within the UK or elsewhere. You are already a citizen of one of the great countries of the world, if you have the funds and the ability to go abroad for your education, be happy with that. Both the UK and your personal feelings may change so much in the next four or five years you might not want to live there any more.