ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa requirements while resident in the UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

brucelowe
Newly Registered

Schengen visa requirements while resident in the UK

Post by brucelowe » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:07 am

I'm a South African who lives in the UK. I've planned a 1 week trip to Italy (flying into Switzerland), and noticed this requirement:

"your residence permit in the UK must be valid for at least three months beyond the returning date of your trip."

I'm in the UK on an ancestry visa (5 year) but it expires 2 months and 4 days after I get back from that trip. I am applying for indefinite leave to remain (a more permanent visa) since I'll have been in the UK for 5 years - but won't have it before that trip.

So..my question is
a) Why is that requirement there - Is it because they think people will not return to the UK after the trip?
b) Is that requirement at the discretion of the person issuing the visa? (And therefore flexible)

c) If yes to the above two - Could I instead provide alternative proof that I am not going to stay beyond that one week? (work contracts/rental contracts/applications to nurseries for the little one, my family are staying in london while I'm on that trip etc)

Obviously I'd rather not cancel the trip but I dont want to waste time/money on a schengen visa application if there is no chance I can get it.

If anyone has any knowledge on this I'd appreciate the info. Thanks in advance

just jak
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by just jak » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:10 am

Hi, I see you didn't get any replies to your question. However, I was wondering if you submitted your application and what has happened?

My husband and I want to visit Italy and maybe Greece or Switzerland too for a few weeks but he will be on a spouse visa to the UK (we find out next week) whereas I have a British passport. I was wondering if he can apply for the schengen visa from the UK or if it is better for him to apply from Bangladesh before he arrives in the UK.

Thanks for your help.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 pm

just jak wrote:...My husband and I want to visit Italy and maybe Greece or Switzerland...whereas I have a British passport...
Hi just jak,

as long as you don´t need to go to Switzerland, you don´t need a visa at all!

See Part 2) of the description >>here<<.

Rgds, Christian