ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

wanting to move to the uk

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ladyluckpinup
Newly Registered

wanting to move to the uk

Post by ladyluckpinup » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:43 pm

hi there

i am new to this forum, so please bear with me. just hoping for some direction.

my name is tara and i am a 21 year old administrator from new zealand. this year my fiance tom moved over here from the uk (hes a citizen) and is on a WHV for 23 months.

we are engaged and plan to marry early 2007 in new zealand. we have plans to move to the UK about mid 2007.

could anyone give me any advise about this? will i be able to work when i arrive in the UK or do i need to apply for a work permit/visa of some kind.

sorry about this, this is all new to me.

any replies appreciated.

thanks.

tara.
Last edited by ladyluckpinup on Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:40 am

Hi, after the marriage and prior to moving to the UK you will need to apply for a 2-year spouse visa. Armed with that visa you will be able to enter the UK and live here. It also gives you full rights to work in the UK without needing to get a Work Permit.

Lots more information available on the www.ukvisas.gov.uk website. You will want to download the VAF2 application form and also the INF4 guidance notes.

When to apply? Not earlier than three months before the planned moving date to the UK. Ordinarily the visa start date will be when it is issued. However you can ask them to defer the start date for up to three months. The important thing is that you make your move to the UK shortly after the visa start date, otherwise you will encounter problems two years later when you come to convert your 2-year spouse visa into ILR ..... indefinite leave to remain.

What you absolutely cannot do is enter the UK as a visitor and then attempt to get a spouse visa in the UK. Totally not possible! The application for the spouse visa must be made in NZ.

A word of warning about a deferred start date on the visa .... it cannot be changed later ... without reapplying and paying the application fee again. Having said that it will enable you to plan ahead and book flights with confidence of knowing the visa is in the passport.

Example ... say you plan to fly to the UK on or about say 07.07.07 .... apply for your spouse visa on say 01.04.07 ... asking for a visa start date of say 01.07.07. When (hopefully) that visa is granted sometime in April you will be able to book flights knowing the visa is already in the passport.
John

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:39 am

Well, good luck with this but...
Moving out from the green, serene and relaxing NZ to something like stressful, rushy and overcrowded like Britain is not particularly wise... there was an article somewhere in the paper a few days ago that NZ is one of the most preferred destinations for Britons. Perhaps living with your partner to NZ might be worth consideration.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:35 am

Oh I dont know, I left sunny South Africa for the UK 6 years ago and I'm still having a ball here.

My British passport is also very useful for access to EU, and I can and do return to SA often for holidays. Dual citizenship gives me the best of both.

Best of luck to you!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:56 pm

tekaweni wrote:Oh I dont know, I left sunny South Africa for the UK 6 years ago and I'm still having a ball here.
Well, the only way to live in the UK is to have your own business (or your partner is rich) - if you are smart enough then you can certainly have a ball in your court! :D
If you cannot run business or cheat the system - you are doomed for living in poverty no matter how much education or qualifications you have.
Advice to the author - before setting long plans for the future, it is strongly recommended that you come for a year or two and experience life here yourself. It may be that you will run far far away from here even before that back to your home country.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:03 pm

Jeff, your circumstances are far from typical, and I wonder how that is influencing the comments you are making in this topic.

Tara, Jeff has posted extensively on this Board about the real problems he has encountered at the hands of the Home Office here in the UK. I am not suggesting they always get it right, they don't, but if they always got it as bad as they have for Jeff then no one would ever get a visa! Clearly that is not the case.
John

Miss Oceania
Newly Registered

Post by Miss Oceania » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:38 pm

I moved to the UK from New Zealand four years ago now and am happily well on my way to citizenship, and have no plans to move back to NZ anytime in the future. It is entirely possible to move to another country, be happy, settle down, and not want to go back to where you came from. The UK is a great place to live, moving here was the best thing I have ever done in my life. If you have a negative attitude about something then it's a self-fulfilling prophesy that negative things will happen to you in your life until you change your attitude.

Good luck with your future plans ladyluckpinup, I hope you and your boyfriend/future husband will be happy with your move here.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:50 pm

Jeff Albright wrote:Advice to the author - before setting long plans for the future, it is strongly recommended that you come for a year or two and experience life here yourself. It may be that you will run far far away from here even before that back to your home country.
Well yes, but to be fair I don't think that the original poster is necessarily making irrevocable plans to move the UK and never return to New Zealand anyway (based on what she says). She and her future husband might well decide that their long-term future is in New Zealand, or in some third country for that matter!

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:36 pm

Jeff Albright wrote: If you cannot run business or cheat the system - you are doomed for living in poverty no matter how much education or qualifications you have.
I strongly disagree - I came from Brazil, took my MBA here, got fantastic jobs in sales, got my citizenship, and live a very decent life here.

Tara, this is a welcoming country - and I am sure that your future husband will help the transition be very smooth for you.

All the best in your future and congrats on the wedding.

Rogerio

ladyluckpinup
Newly Registered

Post by ladyluckpinup » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:31 pm

Thank you all for the positive comments. I would just like to clarify something, I have full intention of living in the UK long term. I will follow John's advise in the application sense of things - thanks so much that gave me the direction I was looking for.

To Jeff, I love New Zealand. But I also love my partner very much and I look forward to travel and gaining further life experience. I have had many friends live in the UK (and most are still there after 2 years) and have mainly only heard good things. Not everyone is doomed. I am glad at the very least to go into this with a positive attitude.

No doubt I will be back on this forum as I come across more questions.

Thanks so much.

Tara.

P.S. Nice to hear there are some success stories, Miss Oceania :)