ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I qualified to apply for Citizenship (Naturalisation)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jeffson9
Newly Registered

Am I qualified to apply for Citizenship (Naturalisation)

Post by jeffson9 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:12 pm

Dear all,

I have been living in Ireland since 2001 as a student status. I was then employed and obtained my stamp 1 since January 2007. By February 2010, I was made redundant and I applied for stamp 4 based on my relationship to an unmarried partner of 5 years (Irish citizen). I got my stamp 4 status since and by February 2012, I will have 60 months of stamps that eligible me to apply for citizenship. My problems are:

1. When I was made redundant in Feb 2010, I received dole from the social welfare department for a few months. My social welfare is not subject to mean testing. It was approved based on all the stamps gathered during my periods of employment. Would this affect my application? Dole period from (April 2010 to September 2010)

2. I went to further my studies in Masters in Finance in September 2010 and I did not apply for any public fund. When I finished the course, I receive my social welfare payment again from the department in July 2011 till now. Would this be another problem for my citizenship application?

3. I just got a job offer in London and will have to move there to work. I applied EEA2 (UK unmarried partner) based on my unmarried partner is Irish and we will be exercising treaty rights in London. Can I still apply for Citizenship in Ireland through naturalisation even though I live in London?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:39 pm

if your intention to live outside ireland than answer is no.you will hardly be granted.but if you live in ireland than you have 99 percent chance to get irish citizenship.i think you should stay in ireland for few months than apply for irish citizenship.you will be free to move to any eu country with irish passport.good luck

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: Am I qualified to apply for Citizenship (Naturalisation)

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 am

jeffson9 wrote:Dear all,

I have been living in Ireland since 2001 as a student status. I was then employed and obtained my stamp 1 since January 2007. By February 2010, I was made redundant and I applied for stamp 4 based on my relationship to an unmarried partner of 5 years (Irish citizen). I got my stamp 4 status since and by February 2012, I will have 60 months of stamps that eligible me to apply for citizenship. My problems are:

1. When I was made redundant in Feb 2010, I received dole from the social welfare department for a few months. My social welfare is not subject to mean testing. It was approved based on all the stamps gathered during my periods of employment. Would this affect my application? Dole period from (April 2010 to September 2010)

2. I went to further my studies in Masters in Finance in September 2010 and I did not apply for any public fund. When I finished the course, I receive my social welfare payment again from the department in July 2011 till now. Would this be another problem for my citizenship application?

3. I just got a job offer in London and will have to move there to work. I applied EEA2 (UK unmarried partner) based on my unmarried partner is Irish and we will be exercising treaty rights in London. Can I still apply for Citizenship in Ireland through naturalisation even though I live in London?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Under the previous regime, the claims for social welfare would have helped you in failing in your case. Not completely sure what the position is under the new regime, only that the new application forms specially request details of social welfare claims, thus, it appears there will be a consideration of all issues (which is fair)

Citizenship is only granted when there is evidence or a belief that a person will, in good faith, remain in Ireland. You swear an oath on getting citizenship. Citizenship is not a situation were you merely reside for a few years - or collect 12 crisp packets.

After a year or so of making a citizenship application, the department always request up to date documents to prove your living in Ireland and working in Ireland or self financed in Ireland. Your going to have problems with this, if you move. They might start asking questions when you have stopped drawing social but provide no evidence of employment or self finance (or being financed by partner) (The 6 months waiting time, is, a pipe dream, for now)