ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years rule - dependant visa (Modrators please help)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Moon747
Newly Registered

10 years rule - dependant visa (Modrators please help)

Post by Moon747 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi

I am currently on a 5years business and commercial work permit (under the old scheme). My ten years legal stay in the UK is also completed if due to some reason I apply ILR on the basis of 10 years stay can I apply ILR for my wife and son (born abroad) at the same time. If so which application form for dependants will be used either SET(O) or SET(M)?

My wife is on my dependant visa for last nearly seven years.

Second question >>>> If I use either of the above forms for my wife and son, does it matter if at any time during last 7 years they were abroad for more than the time limits for 10 year rule like 180 days at one time etc. ?

Your advise will be much appreciated.

Re: 10 years rule - dependant visa (Modrators please help)

Post by 2012 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Moon747 wrote:Hi

I am currently on a 5years business and commercial work permit (under the old scheme). My ten years legal stay in the UK is also completed if due to some reason I apply ILR on the basis of 10 years stay can I apply ILR for my wife and son (born abroad) at the same time. If so which application form for dependants will be used either SET(O) or SET(M)?

My wife is on my dependant visa for last nearly seven years.

Second question >>>> If I use either of the above forms for my wife and son, does it matter if at any time during last 7 years they were abroad for more than the time limits for 10 year rule like 180 days at one time etc. ?

Your advise will be much appreciated.
1. Under the 10 years rule you can not include your dependents on the application however, if they complete the 10 years on their own then they can apply under the rule.
2. Dependents shud use form FLR (M) and not SET(O).
3. Under the 10 years rule, the total time spent outside UK shud not exceed 18 months plus not more than 6 months in a single visit (anyone applying under the 10 years).

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: 10 years rule - dependant visa (Modrators please help)

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Moon747 wrote:If so which application form for dependants will be used either SET(O) or SET(M)?
Neither, it will be FLR(M) as dependants can't be included in long residence ILR applications. They will then need to make a further two years in that category before becoming eligible for ILR.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:55 pm

If your wife and child applies at the same time as you, then they should use FLR(M). Else, after you're granted ILR, then perhaps SET(O).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Moon747
Newly Registered

Post by Moon747 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Thank you for your reply. I would like to briefly mention that my work permit and the dependants visa are expiring on 14 January 2012.

(1). I am advised to use SET(O) "long residency 10 years" for myself and SET(M) for my dependants for their ILR directly due to expiry of visas on 14 january 2012.

(2). Is it possible for me to apply a separate ILR application for my dependants while applying ILR on "long residency 10 years" basis due to my WP NOT Tier2?

Would you please guide me in this regard.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:20 pm

SET (M) is not appropriate as your dependents do not have limited leave under the relevant paragraphs of the rules in order to apply for settlement on that form

Why are you applying for ilr under long residence rather than on the basis of your work permit if you will have completed the 5 years at the same time?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Unfortunately, dependants of a Long residence applicant cannot directly apply for SET(M).
Making an valid FLR(M) application at the same time as your valid SET(O) before leave expires application is probably safer as there will be a right of appeal against a refusal.

However, it's even better if you can apply for ILR on the basis of your WP rather than long residence. Then dependants may be included.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.