ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

isujackson
Newly Registered

Advice needed

Post by isujackson » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:01 am

My missus and I just got engaged two weeks ago. I am from the US and she is from New Zealand. She left today(Jan 7th) to go back to London. I was going to follow her next Sunday but now I'm wondering if that's the best course of action.

The original plan was for me to come visit over Feb. and March. She is a teacher and has long holidays. Her birthday is also in the middle of Feb. I'd fly back at the end of March to the United States when my master's classes start up again.

She just got a new job at a school and has been hired full time and they will be sponsoring her visa, which I believe would be a tier 2 and thus able to have a spousal visa for me.

I don't want any problems at the immigration desk and the last time I was there they gave me the once over since I was traveling with my fiance who was at that point my girlfriend and didn't seem convinced I was going to go back the USA.

I worry that even though I can show my ticket back the United States, the fact that I am visiting my fiance will cause them to think I am planning on just over staying.

I'm wondering if it is better to delay my trip and apply for the fiance's visa and then do a ceremony in London.

Or maybe even just do a quick and small ceremony somewhere and get married.(Our big wedding is in 2013 so as to give our parents and family time to save money to attend if they choose.)

I just don't want to get there and be turned back because I cannot convince the immigration officer that I plan to leave the UK when I say I will.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:15 am

Please continue in previous thread.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.