ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Towards Permanent Residence (PR) and Other RC Issues.

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DestinyChild

Towards Permanent Residence (PR) and Other RC Issues.

Post by DestinyChild » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:44 pm

I just want the House to examine my case and offer some advice to me. I got my Residence Card in February 2011 and it will expire in 2016. I got it as a Family Member of an EEA National who is exercising Treaty Rights in the UK. I have been working since August 2011. I have started thinking about my future in Britain and the PR comes to my mind. I am single and anytime from now, I will start a relationship. It depends on my choice of Woman. Now if I end up marrying a British Woman before 2016 when my RC expires, will it affect my status? Do I need to go back to my country when I want to marry and apply for a different visa to come back to the UK? I am legal in the UK now with an RC but I read somewhere on this forum that you can't switch visa categories. What do you think?

Towards my PR Application, do I still need to be living with my Sponsor who is my first cousin ( Our Mums are Sisters from the same parents )? At present, I am not staying with her because I work in a place that is far from the house where we used to live together. She is still in the UK and exercising treaty rights. She works for a big company in Britain. I also moved out because her boyfriend is staying with her and I need my Privacy too. I hear that I need to provide proof that I'm dependent on my sponsor when the time to apply for my PR comes. I'm confused on this issue. I also want to travel to Africa this year. What happens at the Airport at Immigration Control when I am coming back to the UK? I want those who are in the same shoes with me to brief me. I have a valid RC but I just fret sometimes. Please I need your advice, my brethen.

I am seriously waiting for your advice and information. Thanks in Advance 8) 8) 8)

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:07 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#522536

you already started a thread mate

now if you marry a british national than you can apply for pr after 3 yrs of marrying british national

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Punjab wrote:http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#522536

you already started a thread mate

now if you marry a british national than you can apply for pr after 3 yrs of marrying british national
Punjab - what law are you referring to exactly?

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi Grrenie I read about it here

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/naturalisation.htm#s2

Naturalisation after three years in the UK as a spouse of an UK Citizen

The requirements for naturalisation as a spouse of a British citizen are very similar to those mentioned above. The main difference is that there is a shorter residency requirement of three years in the UK as opposed to six years. The three years of the residency requirement are counted from the date your naturalization application is received by the Home Office.

Further details on residency requirements are as follows:

You must have been living in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the three- year period; and
On the date that your application is received in the Home Office, you must have permanent residence/ ILR in the UK; and
During the three-year period you must not have been outside the UK for more than 270 days (approximately 9 months); and
During the last 12 months of the three-year period you must not have been outside the UK for more than 90 days; and
You must not have been in breach of any UK immigration rules at any time during this three-year period of residence in the UK.

=========

Also http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:21 pm

you have misunderstood the link entirely.

1) A person who wishes to apply for settlement as the spouse of a British Citizen would need to apply for leave under the Immigration Rules as the spouse of a British Citizen. An applicant who is currently in the UK with as an non-EEA family residence card would need to apply for entry clearance from outside the UK as s/he would not have leave to remain in the UK in order to switch in country
2) After completing a two year probationary period s/he can apply for ILR. PR is for applications under the EEA regulations.
3) An applicant who is settled in the UK (PR or ILR) and is married to a British Citizen can apply for British Citizenship after completing 3 years lawful residence in the UK (and meeting the other requirements.)

Your phrase '
now if you marry a british national than you can apply for pr after 3 yrs of marrying british national' is therefore incorrect for a number of reasons.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 am

AHA Thanks Greenie