ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship application - Married with child to US citizen

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jane888
Newly Registered

Citizenship application - Married with child to US citizen

Post by jane888 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:53 am

Hi,

I have been married to my US born citizen husband for three years now. We got married here in the states. When we got married I was still holding a B2 or tourist visa. The visa expired soon after.

Now three years after, we have a one year old daughter and I still haven;t got my greencard or citizenship done yet. It is long overdued. I really need to get it done. I miss my country so much and can;t wait to bring my daughter back home for a visit.

I don;t know how to go about applying for the citizenship though. What should I do first? What form should I ask for? What sort of information do I need to provide? How long does it take to complete the whole process? Is there a way I can leave the country after I send in the application or rather while the application is being processed?

If you can point me to a website with the answers to my questions, I would really appreciate it...makes it easier too.

Thanks a bunch for your help,

Jane

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:22 pm

1. Did you actually apply to adjust status after your marriage by submitting form I-485?

2. If you did not then you must do so immediatley.

3. Don't leave the US before your application is decided and a green card granted. If you do so you will be barred from the US for 10 years as you ahve overstayed by more than 365 days. Note the process may take any where up to 3 years (Texas Service centre) depending on the service centre handling your application.

4. Once you have your GC you can then start thinking of citizenship which has separate qualifying criteria.

sorry this is news you may not want to hear.