ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed please....really desperate

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

alia84
Newly Registered

Advice needed please....really desperate

Post by alia84 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:05 pm

My wife is currently in the UK on a visiting visa which expires on the 27th January 2012. She is Iranian and we are unsure of the process to apply for a UK spouse visa as the UK embassy is shut down in Tehran.

I understand that my wife will have to go to either Turkey or Dubai and apply there for a UK spouse visa but I don’t want to let her good there on her own in another country where she knows no one and cant speak the language.

I have seeked advice from many people:

Solicitors – I have spoken to three solicitors, two of which said that she should apply here in the UK before her visiting visa expires. The form she should fill is a FLR(o). The other solicitor said that he is 99.9% sure that if we went down this route that she would not be granted a visa and that we will be wasting our time and money.

Home Office – They originally told me to get some legal advice and then said that she would have to go to either Turkey or UAE as she is not allowed to apply within the UK. I asked them how long the application process will take and will there be any facilities in place for Iranian nationals. Was told to get in touch with VFS in Dubai.

VFS Dubai – When I called them they said the application process will take anything from 3-30 days. However, a day later I got a reply to my email stating it can take up to 3 months. Asked if my wife can send her application by post, they said no. Asked if she could return to Iran after submitting her application, they said no.

Local MP – They have investigated the matter and said that they could write a letter to the Home Secretary to ask if we could apply here in the UK but the time it will take to get a response would mean my wife’s visiting visa will expire – it will be too late..

I am really confused and have spent a lot of money to get the advice given so far and I am none the wiser. Ideally would not like to send my wife on her own to Dubai for upto 3 months so really looking for guidance, advice or something concrete.

I’m a UK citizen and in full time employement.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help is appreciated.

Ali

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:16 pm

you say you are 'none the wiser' but in fact you have been given advice and have chosen not to take it. Is there any reason why you cannot accompany your wife to Dubai/Turkey so that she can submit her application?

alia84
Newly Registered

Post by alia84 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Hi Greenie

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunatly my work will not allow me to take upto three months off, even on unpaid leave.

Also, I dont want to risk losing my job especially in these touch economic times.

Robert101
Newly Registered

Post by Robert101 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi alia84,

I appreciate this thread is over 12 months old however I am in exactly the same situation as you and a lot of the questions & concerns you have posted are identical to mine.

I (UK national) will be getting married to an Iranian in Iran in the very near future and she, like your wife will have to go to either Turkey or UAE to apply for a UK spouse VISA, Turkey being our preference.

I would be curious to know how you both got on, any pitfalls, hassles (I am sure there would been a few :-)), how long until she was was issued a VISA and any other general advice you could share would be most appreciated.

Specifically I would be interested in knowing how long she had to stay in Turkey and also, if anybody subscribing to this forum knows if a marriage in Iran would be seen as a lawful wedding in the eyes of the UK government. I don't see why not, but my googling powers seem to have deserted me and I can't find a lot of information on that point.

I am sure I will have some further questions to add to this thread as time goes by :-).

Thanks