ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Obtaining Entry Clearance (Visa) for applications in US

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lanwarrior

Obtaining Entry Clearance (Visa) for applications in US

Post by lanwarrior » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:59 am

Hi all,

Anyone who have EC approved or going for an interview for EC, can you let me know the following:

1) PROCEDURE
Do you HAVE to apply online, as mandated by Britain USA http://www.britainusa.com/visas/article ... 8&L1=41000?

2) DOCUMENTS
Britain USA website (above) shows that the documents needed for applying an EC are just "basic", such as passport, marriage cert, birth cert, etc. However, I've read in this forum that they also ask for BANK STATEMENTS. Is this really needed or not applicable for applicants from US?

3) TIMELINE
How long does it take generally to have the UK Embassy approve your EC? This is assuming that the application is filed via online (and then mail the passport, etc.)

4) DOCUMENT RETURN
The website mention that they do not take pre-paid envelope. So that means I can't use DHL or courier service? I am afraid that using regular USPS mail service may cause my passport and (most importantly) the HSMP approval.

Thanks!

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:18 pm

Anybody from US who have successfully applied for EC in the last 6 months ?

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:18 am

Anyone?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:26 am

Do you HAVE to apply online, as mandated by Britain USA
No, you can apply on paper, but applying on line is better.

As a general principle, you apply online, and then follow the instructions on the screen about the supporting evidence .... where to send it .... what to send. Clearly you can enclose Bank Statements with that evidence.

In other words, merely making an application online is not going to get you your visa. You do need to forward evidence in support.

How long does the process take? In the US just a few days.
John

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:12 pm

John wrote:
As a general principle, you apply online, and then follow the instructions on the screen about the supporting evidence .... where to send it .... what to send. Clearly you can enclose Bank Statements with that evidence.
Hey John,

In term of documents, is bank statements a requirements? I don't see that as one of the document from the website above. I am just wondering since I want to make sure that I didn't apply and then get denied because I am missing a document, be it bank statement, letter of employment, payslip, etc.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:42 pm

Have a look at Guidance - EEA & Swiss nationals (INF 18 ). That includes :-
evidence of your employment in the UK or that you can support them for the whole period of their stay in the UK
OK, that is not specific as regards Bank Statements, but showing funds, to confirm that the applicant for the EEA Family Permit will not need to have recourse to certain Public Funds, well that can only help.

Lots in that INF 18 guidance. Have a good read.
John

windmill

Post by windmill » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:01 pm

lanwarrior,

In the britainusa.com link which you have posted, it says you need to submit two photographs with the HSMP application (not in EC stage)? I haven't read it anywhere else though.

Is it true or did you guys send it?

Thanks!

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:18 am

John,

Thanks for the link. I did look at that before, but it applies only to nationals of EEA, in which US is not part of it.

However, I was also hoping that successful applicant from US can actually give their experience for applying EC from within US. It seems (so far) none of the successfull applicant are from US, lest we'll see this thread populated.

BTW, were you from US prior to coming to UK?

windmill,

You're right! They DID ask for it. However, I didn't submit it because it is not listed as one of the required document from the HSMP Form Guidance (not the Case Worker guidance). I think this shouldn't be an issue, though. I'll flip if my application was denied due to "missing" photographs. :D