ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mother coming to visit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Naiad

Mother coming to visit

Post by Naiad » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:55 pm

I am living here in the UK on a spouse visa (granted late April after my marriage to my British husband).

My mother is coming to visit us from Australia for a month in mid September.
I do not want her to encounter any difficulties at the airport when she arrives.

She is an Australian citizen with healthy assets at home. She has no intention of staying (no force on earth would make her move here! :lol:)
She will answer the arrivals questionnaire honestly, saying purpose of visit is to visit family and length of stay is 1 month.

Can anyone suggest what documents she should bring with her to ensure her arrival goes smoothly?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 am

As an Australian your mother does not need to obtain a visitor visa before travelling to the UK .... but then you already knew that.

I don't expect her to have a problem when she arrives but it will do no harm her carrying a letter from you and/or your husband confirming that she will be staying with you for the approx. one month she will be in the UK. Also, if it is the case, that you will be in the airport waiting to pick her up when she emerges through Customs. And giving your mobile telephone number in case immigration do need to contact you. (But I would doubt they would need to do that.)

She will need to complete a Landing Card and hand that to the Immigration Officer at Heathrow, or wherever. So that letter will be an easy source of the UK address she will need to enter on that card.
John

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:36 am

As an Australian citizen, she is unlikely to have any significant difficulty at passport control. She will need her address in the UK (presumably your address) to put on the landing card, which she will have to fill in. Questioning by the immigration officer will probably be pretty routine (What is the purpose of your visit? How long are you staying for? etc). She ought to have with her documentation that indicates that she has plans to leave (a ticket, or these days an itinerary/e-ticket), and it can't hurt to have a letter from you. Presumably she will have some cash with her, and credit cards.

But in all honesty, unless there's something about her that we don't know(!), she shouldn't expect any problems at all.