ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Info Required for Extension of Tier-1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mr_pankaj

Info Required for Extension of Tier-1

Post by mr_pankaj » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi

I am holding Tier-1 Visa [General] Migrant. Issued on 12/12/09 and is valid till 12/12/12.

Currently I am in India and was not able to travel to UK till date due to some of my personal reasons.

Recently, I have got a contract offer (for 6 months) and I am planning to move to UK.

I have following queries :

1. Can I travel to UK, as I have yet not made any travel till date
2. Is it reasonable to accept this offer of contract (6months)
3. Are there any chances of extension of Visa.
4. What is the duration for which I need to show my presence in UK and how much salary I need to show for extension of my Visa.

Requesting you all to respond me at the earliest.

Thanks.
--------------------------------
Peace,
Pan

mr_pankaj

Post by mr_pankaj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 am

Hi - Could someone please help clarify my questions?

A) Can I enter UK that my UK Tier 1 (General) migrant visa runs out on 12th Dec 2012 and till date I have not entered the country (It was 1st stamped in Dec 2009). So I have approx 9-months remaining.

B) Currently, I have a 6-months contract (extendable) in hand and based on the feedback I get here I'd be able to make up my mind.

C) What are the documentary evidences I would need to produce when I go for Tier1(General) renewal in November 2012 (i.e. after having been employed for approx 9-months).

Appreciate all your feedback.

Thanks
Peace,
Pan

theroyale

Post by theroyale » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:32 am

A) Can I enter UK that my UK Tier 1 (General) migrant visa runs out on 12th Dec 2012 and till date I have not entered the country (It was 1st stamped in Dec 2009). So I have approx 9-months remaining.
My understanding is that border officials at Heathrow do allow people to enter as long as their visa is still valid - but others who have heard of different experiences should correct me if I'm wrong.

B) Currently, I have a 6-months contract (extendable) in hand and based on the feedback I get here I'd be able to make up my mind.

C) What are the documentary evidences I would need to produce when I go for Tier1(General) renewal in November 2012 (i.e. after having been employed for approx 9-months).
For Previous Earnings evidence, the duration of your work does not matter. For e.g. if you manage to hit the lower limit of earnings within 3 months then that is all you need to show as evidence. Note for the Maintenance Funds evidence 3 months is minimum. For other documents that need to be shown check the UKBA Tier-1 website.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 am

For a contract role it doesn't matter what the time frame is. You need to have the balls to be on the contracting side.

Contracting market is not certain and you have to decide on your own, no one can make that suggestion. You obviously get more money than permanent work but there is always the pain of:

1. Travel Hours (can be upto 2 hrs+)
2. No Job security
3. No Guarantee of next contract role

I am just giving you the points that you need to decide on.

**Note: I have been in regular contract work for the past 3 years with no gaps and have worked for 4 different clients.

I have worked on 3 month contracts with 15 day extensions and then monthly extensions and 3 monthly extensions.

Everything just comes down to your BALLS If you have 'em Rock On

Given your situation, you don't have a choice. Just take the contract role and if the day rate is good enough you should be able to complete the salary requirement for your extension.

mr_pankaj

Post by mr_pankaj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Thank you 'theroyale' and 'QuickSam' for replying back and giving some insight as to how all works.

You are right and as suggested, if one can they should be ready take the risk of working as a contractor. That makes me wonder(and probably you can help confirm), if 250 pounds/day for a 6-months contract is decent enough for me alone to survive and also show as income proof when I go for Tier1(General) extension? i.e. Are there any other points I should be aware of? Whats the kind of income I should be earning/have saved when I go for the visa renewal after say 6-8 months from now?

Once again, sincere thanks for making this clear for me.
Peace,
Pan

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Depends on the points that you need from the salary. How many points did you claim the first time?

mr_pankaj

Post by mr_pankaj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Back in 2009 when I applied, my points breakdown was :

Education = 35points (Masters)
Age = 5points (31years)
Salary = 45points (I was/am in India)

The total required was 75 points.

Hope this information suffice you to be able to give me some guidance?

Thanks once again.
Peace,
Pan

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:01 pm

1. You can travel to UK no issues, I did the same, travelled in the last year of my visa. Show your offer letter to immigration officer if challenged,but usually it is enough if you tell them you have got a job.
2. Only you can answer this, taking into consideration what you will be leaving behind, your taste for the uncertainty/thrill of contracting in UK.
3.You will have earned enough points for extension at the end of this 6 month contract period.
4.There is no rule about how long you need to be in UK to extend ur visa. You can get 5 points for UK experience if you earn 16K in UK.

Run the calculator as if it is 12-dec-12 today and enter your details. you will score enough points, even without your overseas earning.

Read the points based guidance pdf on uk ba site,it will answer all your queries

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:10 pm

You will need 75 points again when you extend.

The point breakdown could be something like this:

Education = 35points (Masters)
Age = 5points (31years)
UK Experience = 5points (Given that you earn more than 16K in UK)
Salary = 30 points needed to complete 75 points.

So if you are in a salary range: £29,000 - £31,999 you should be able to get the necessary points.

Given the rate of £250 per day for 6 months, assuming 20 days per month you should be able to earn £30,000 which would be enough to apply for an extension.

Hope this helps. :)

mr_pankaj

Post by mr_pankaj » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Hiya - Your calculation shows I am just fine then, vow! Thanks a lot for taking time to clarify this - I am in a better position now to make up my mind.

thank you.
Peace,
Pan