ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizenship and oci

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

doojaga
Newly Registered

british citizenship and oci

Post by doojaga » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 am

hallo
i have got british citizenship and i have surrendered my indian passport as well with an intention to get oci. oci (overseas citizenship of india). what is the use of oci. is it only to go to india everytime we dont require visa. what about long term stay in india. can one stay for longtime in india after getting btitish citizenship as well as oci. please can you clarify this
tks in advance
regards

osteophytes

Re: british citizenship and oci

Post by osteophytes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:08 pm

doojaga wrote:hallo
i have got british citizenship and i have surrendered my indian passport as well with an intention to get oci. oci (overseas citizenship of india). what is the use of oci. is it only to go to india everytime we dont require visa. what about long term stay in india. can one stay for longtime in india after getting btitish citizenship as well as oci. please can you clarify this
tks in advance
regards
OCI - life long visa, no need for registering with police in India, equal to NRI in all aspects except buying agricultural land and voting rights.

If you are an OCI for 5 years and if you stay in India for last 12 months you can apply for Indian citizenship.

osteophytes

Re: british citizenship and oci

Post by osteophytes » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:21 pm

osteophytes wrote:
doojaga wrote:hallo
tks in advance
regards
OCI - life long visa, no need for registering with police in India, equal to NRI in all aspects except buying agricultural land and voting rights.

If you are an OCI for 5 years and if you stay in India for last 12 months you can apply for Indian citizenship.
Here is a very neat comparison

http://www.immihelp.com/nri/pio-vs-oci.html