ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

turispace
Newly Registered

NHS?

Post by turispace » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:18 pm

Hey guys,

My American wife will shortly be arriving in the UK. She will have a marriage visa that entitles her to live and work here - but will she eligible for NHS, or will she have to pay for healthcare under a private insurance scheme?

Please let me know.

L_E_O

Post by L_E_O » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:28 pm

As your wife will be on a spousal visa she will be entitled to use the NHS - she just can't claim benefits like Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, etc.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: NHS?

Post by Christophe » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:37 pm

turispace wrote:Hey guys,

My American wife will shortly be arriving in the UK. She will have a marriage visa that entitles her to live and work here - but will she eligible for NHS, or will she have to pay for healthcare under a private insurance scheme?

Please let me know.
Yes, she will be eligible for treatment on the NHS. It doesn't come under the umbrella heading of 'public funds' in the meaning of the phrase 'no recourse to public funds'. (In essence, the NHS is available to those who are legally resident in the UK, though there may be some exceptions. (It is not available to those who are not resident in the UK, including British citizens who reside outside the UK.))
Last edited by Christophe on Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

turispace
Newly Registered

Post by turispace » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:44 pm

Thanks for the info guys!

Really appreciate it.