ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Certification of Naturalisation - further processing

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

j_mysscent
Newly Registered

Certification of Naturalisation - further processing

Post by j_mysscent » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 pm

Hello everyone!

I am new to the boards and I have some questions to ask.

I applied for Irish citizenship in November 2009 and today I finally got the letter from Minister of Justice and Equality saying they intend to give the certification of naturalisation (Yay!!!). According to the letter, I need to submit money, 2 photos and my original GNIB card. Now, here are the questions:

1. How long it would take for them to get back to me once I submit the new things?

2. Would they just take away my GNIB card? Or, would they return it back to me? Can I ask them to return it back to me first?

I am asking because my family will be travelling to Spain in March. My eldest son was not born in Ireland so he needs a Schengen visa. It takes at least 10 working days to process Schengen visa. It means I have to have either my own Irish passport or my GNIB card before March. I don't think it's possible to get the certificate or naturalization then passport on time for the visa application. So that leaves the only option - I have to have my GNIB card back.

Any suggestions? Lots of thanks in advance.

Jenny G.

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:26 pm

congrats for irish citizenship.you wait really long.what basic did you apply for irish citizenship.how long your son is living in dublin .you dont have to worry at all.i think you will get your passport around april.if you have travel plan.you should ring the airport immigration inform your travel date and situation also keep the photocopy of gnib card and approval letter or irish citizenship certificate.if your son living longer than 5 years in ireland you can also apply his irish citizenship once you have irish citizenship.i cant remember if you check the early post there was same realated topic discuss in this form with another members.congrats good luck

IRISH PHAROE
Member of Standing

Post by IRISH PHAROE » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 am

based on my experience you can fly and back to Ireland without any problem just keep copy of the card and the letter from the citizenship department. it happened with me and my wife as well.
good luck and happy holidays
peace on you

kiwiwife1

Post by kiwiwife1 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:41 am

I had no issue getting back in either. I took a copy of my approval letter, and the guard at the airport said he was only interested in the stamp in my passport.

Congratulations on your approval!

j_mysscent
Newly Registered

thanks

Post by j_mysscent » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:45 pm

Hi kiwiwife1, IRISH PHAROE and IQU,

Thank you for your answers! I feel much better that at least I should not worry too much about not being allowed in the country again without my GNIB card. Yes my son has been living in Ireland since 2006, so once I get my certificate of naturalisation, I shall submit his application immediately.

Here are two more questions:

1. Since my son needs a Schenken visa to visit Spain, would the Spanish embassy recognize the copy of my GNIB card and the letter from Minister of Justice stating they will be granting my Irish citizenship? Anyone has similar experiences?

2. My son is approaching 16 years old in April. He needs to apply his own GNIB card then renew his re-entry visa. Since we will be travelling in March, we need to obtain his own GNIB card then renew his re-entry visa in advance. Normally they would require the parent's passport and GNIB card. Since it's unlikely I'll be getting this certificate of naturalisation before April, I still need to provide them my GNIB card. Would the copy of the card the letter from Minister of Justice be sufficent?

Many thanks again

Jenny G.

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 pm

dont worry just make sure you have your gnib card colour and black and white photocopy with approval letter .you will be fine once you back apply for your son irish citizenship.atleast next time you dont have to queue in embassy .i just want to mention one thing dont mix up your holiday plan with citizenship ceromany.the best is ring the citizenship divsion tommorow ask them what date is next ceromany in march .good luck