ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for naturalization...then leaving

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AJB
Newly Registered

Applying for naturalization...then leaving

Post by AJB » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:00 am

Hi

Im eligible to apply for naturalization on 12th October after 4 years WP and 1 year ILR and I satisfy all their other criteria.
My plan is to leave the country a few days after my application goes in and return to UK in about 6 months time to go through the ceremony and passport application (if its successful)
Does anyone know if this absence out of the country may affect my application? Do they check this out during the application process to make sure Im still living here? Do they do any checks on my company to make sure Im still working there, living at the same address etc?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

JAJ
Australia

Re: Applying for naturalization...then leaving

Post by JAJ » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:31 am

AJB wrote:Hi

Im eligible to apply for naturalization on 12th October after 4 years WP and 1 year ILR and I satisfy all their other criteria.
My plan is to leave the country a few days after my application goes in and return to UK in about 6 months time to go through the ceremony and passport application (if its successful)
Does anyone know if this absence out of the country may affect my application? Do they check this out during the application process to make sure Im still living here? Do they do any checks on my company to make sure Im still working there, living at the same address etc?

Thanks
If you are not married to a British citizen you are expected to intend to remain resident in the United Kingdom.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Applying for naturalization...then leaving

Post by Christophe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:06 am

AJB wrote:Hi

Thanks
Leaving the country as you plan doesn't necessarily suggest that you are not planning to continue to reside in the UK, although if the authorities wanted to they could perhaps become suspicious. (It would depend on lots of other things, no doubt.) But many applications are now being dealt with in much less than 6 months, so you might well be away when the decision is made and the citizenship ceremony is due. Wouldn't it be simpler and more straightforward to stay in the UK during that time if that is possible and then go on your trip?