ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 general extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sheraz_aries
Member of Standing

Tier 1 general extension

Post by sheraz_aries » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:18 pm

I need to apply for my Tier 1 Extension means 2 year extension visa but my passport is going to expire in July 2013 (in 15 months)

Does it means i need to renew my passport first so that it has atleast 2+ years expiry date?

Thanks
Many Thanks

AANWAR

Post by AANWAR » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:52 pm

When is your extension due and when are you planning to apply for it ?

If there is enough time for your documents to come back before the expiry of your Passport, I don’t see any reason to renew the passport first.

I have myself just applied for extension so don’t know what they do now a days but as far as I know they don’t stamp visas on your passport anymore. They now send you a card (Biometric Residence Permit). Even if they stamp a visa you still don’t need to renew the passport as your old passport(s) remain with you.

I hope this helps.

sheraz_aries
Member of Standing

Post by sheraz_aries » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:21 am

Any body?
Many Thanks

LaurenN
Newly Registered

Post by LaurenN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:41 pm

I think as a general rule for most Visa applications you need 6 months validity on your passport (although I would check this on the UKBA website).

If your passport expires during the period when you have a valid visa, I believe the process is to travel with 2 passports. Your new one would be the valid passport for travel and your old one would show your visa entitlement to enter the UK. However, as mentioned above, since the new Tier visa is provided as a separate BRP card, it is likely that you would not need the old passport.

I would assume however that you would have to notify the UKBA of your new passport some way as the BRP must be recored against your passport number when it is issued.

sheraz_aries
Member of Standing

Post by sheraz_aries » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:49 pm

My issue is not to travel but to have the passport validity during the visa processing time.

Any thoughts?
Many Thanks

LaurenN
Newly Registered

Post by LaurenN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:54 pm

although the processing time for the visa extensions are annoyingly lengthy, I highly doubt it would take 15 months, so I am sure you would be fine. (tier 1 general processing times seem to be taking around 2-3 months from the time you post the application to the time you get your passport back).

But if yoga re that worried, renew your passport now. It really all comes down to how comfortable you are about the situation.

I can't remember what it mentions in the guidance notes for the Tier 1 extension, but I am sure it mentioned something about how much months you need on your passport in order to apply. Have to read them?

sheraz_aries
Member of Standing

Post by sheraz_aries » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:34 pm

I did check but could not found any infrmation regarding this.

I personally thinks that 15 months are enough but would be great if could find reference in guidance of home office website.

Thanks
Many Thanks

t1visaext
Newly Registered

Post by t1visaext » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:55 pm

sheraz_aries wrote:I did check but could not found any infrmation regarding this.

I personally thinks that 15 months are enough but would be great if could find reference in guidance of home office website.

Thanks
can some one provide a link for this guidance of 6 months validity of passport when going for visa?

sheraz_aries
Member of Standing

Post by sheraz_aries » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:00 pm

any body with link please?
Many Thanks