ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA National: What support can I get?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tiscenkom
Newly Registered

EEA National: What support can I get?

Post by tiscenkom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:41 am

Dear All,

I would appreciate any advice very much. I am a Latvian national with a 2 year old daughter. I am currently unemployed, receiving Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits. Doing a law degree through Open Uni distance learning. I am on the second out of four years of studies. I get financial support from the uni, that covers my tuition fees and also get a grant payment of £265.00 per year (part-time studies).

My husband (Fam. Member of an EEA Nat.) had left us in November '11. He has been working in construction for 4 years as self-employed, had very good earnings until the crisis. After, he had been on and off work all the time, so claimed tax credits in 2010. His current job barely covers his own living, consequently he cannot support us. I am now responsible for paying rent for our house, bills, etc. I wanted to see what financial support I am eligible for (apart from what I already claim), as obviously it is not enough to support my child and myself.

I had made an application for HB, CTB and Inc.Support as soon as he left, but they refused me (habitual residence test failed). I understand "to legally reside" I must be working (which I am not) or be a self-sufficient student. If I start part-time work now and apply again, will I succeed? Will they consider it as a genuine and effective work? Is there any other benefit that I am entitled to claim instead?

I guess I do not qualify for PR too. I came to live to the UK in Feb 2007 (5 years ago in 9 days), but I was working illegally (as found out later), received cash in hand and I have no proof of that employment. I changed my job in the summer '07, applied for NI and paid income tax. I had been in employment until Sep '08.

Then, we got married in Nov and when we planned to submit the application for my husband's visa, I had learnt that I needed to register for WRS. (Not a single employer had asked my registration or told me that it was required.) Therefore, I do not know whether that period qualifies for PM. Have I been working legally if I paid NI contributions, income tax, but had no WRS for A8 country. Does the abolition of the scheme this year has impact on that?

New job in Dec '08 and registered immediately, got the certificate, my husband was issued a visa for a year. I had completed 12 months, fell pregnant, he was issued the Residence Card for 5 years. I was given a residence reg. cert. too. I went on maternity leave; after it I ended my employment (Aug '10). I could not leave my baby and wanted to raise her until she is 2-3 years myself. I still think she was too young to go to the nursery and be apart from me :) I was just a full-time mum until Feb '11 and I guess that means that I have resided here illegally for that period? Or could it be said that I was a self-sufficient person, if my husband worked and supported us; does it qualify for continuously residing?

In Feb '11, I had started my degree, and until researching the law today, had no idea that I need to have a comprehensive medical insurance. Again, have I been residing illegally (for the purpose of PR)?

I really do not wish to quit my studies and leave the UK. I am a very good student and I plan to become a lawyer. The course I am doing concerns laws of England and Wales, so practically I will work here upon completion. I am taking up several modules at the same time to graduate faster and start working (therefore, it takes me 4 instead of 6 years). It would be impossible for me to get a full-time employment, study and being a single parent. Also, the childcare is so expensive!

I am settled, have my family and friends here. Is there really no temporarily support available for me and my daughter until I graduate. I am willing to stay in this country and pay taxes :) Is there any chance they can consider that it is in their interest to help, baring in mind that the Government had already paid tax credits and child benefit and also sponsored my costly studies. Are there ever exceptions or do they award benefits only in accordance to their guidance? My daughters father does not want to leave either. If I am forced to leave, does it breach our right to family life? He cannot live in Latvia, he does not know the language. And I cannot take away our daughter from him, can I?

P.S. Sorry for so much info, I just thought all these facts might be relevant...

tiscenkom
Newly Registered

Post by tiscenkom » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:20 pm

No suggestions, comments or advice... Really?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:21 pm

Your query is quite complex and requires people to know about both the EEA regulations and benefits rules.

Regarding the benefits issue - I would suggest seeking advice from a benefits advisor on this - perhaps your local CAB or law centre?

Regarding whether you are exercising your treaty rights as a self sufficient student - it's difficult to say - the fact that you seem to be solely reliant on state benefits may mean it is difficult for you to show this. if you worked part time then as long as the employment was genuine and effective then you should be treated as a worker and therefore would be exercising treaty rights. I think you need to seek advice from a competent immigration advisor/solicitor who can look at all of your papers and advice you on your situation.

tiscenkom
Newly Registered

Post by tiscenkom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Thank you for your reply! I've started looking for a job, as I need to earn to pay for living anyway, may be will try to apply again later, if my employment goes well but the earnings will small.
I understand perfectly that, at the moment, I cannot be considered as a self-sufficient student. Does it mean that the continuous period of 5 years will start over after get a job (for the purpose of PM)? Or do they simply count all relevant periods of time (excluding interruptions) and sum them up to get 5 years?
Thank you in advance!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:45 pm

it usually needs to be 5 continuous years but I really think you need to seek advice from an immigration solicitor who can advice you further as to whether you can argue you have been exercising treaty rights continously.

This article might be useful to you. right to reside: the pregnant pause and EEA nationals the right to reside requirement for benefits

stanik

Post by stanik » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:29 am

If you completed 12 months WRS (now not needed) you definitely can receive JSA/CTB/HB.. but you have to be looking for job, and can't be a student