ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - can applicant claim child benefit?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

RHussain07

ILR - can applicant claim child benefit?

Post by RHussain07 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:47 pm

dear all,

my wife has come to the uk on a spouse visa - whilst in the UK, we had a baby and we receive child benefit in my wife's name.

is that a problem? - as one the ILR form it lists child benefit as a public benefit and as you know applicants cannot have 'recourse to public funds'.

can someone please advise?

many thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:51 pm

if you have ILR and your wife doesn't, you should be claiming the child benefit, not your wife as for your wife to claim is a breach of her conditions unless she is a national of a country with which the UK has reciprocal social security agreements. What is her nationality?

RHussain07

Post by RHussain07 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Greenie wrote:if you have ILR and your wife doesn't, you should be claiming the child benefit, not your wife as for your wife to claim is a breach of her conditions unless she is a national of a country with which the UK has reciprocal social security agreements. What is her nationality?
Hi Greenie,

thanks for the quick response - i am a uk citizen - my wife has recently come to the UK on a two year spouse/entry clearnance visa.

does that help?

Thanks,

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:29 pm

RHussain07 wrote:
Greenie wrote:if you have ILR and your wife doesn't, you should be claiming the child benefit, not your wife as for your wife to claim is a breach of her conditions unless she is a national of a country with which the UK has reciprocal social security agreements. What is her nationality?
Hi Greenie,

thanks for the quick response - i am a uk citizen - my wife has recently come to the UK on a two year spouse/entry clearnance visa.

does that help?

Thanks,
no - not really - I asked what your wife's nationality is, not yours.

RHussain07

Post by RHussain07 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Greenie wrote:
RHussain07 wrote:
Hi Greenie,

does that help?

Thanks,
no - not really - I asked what your wife's nationality is, not yours.
Apologies - she is Pakistani. I setup the child benefit in her name as we needed letters in her name (for our ILR application) but I did not realise that by doing so, it may cause an issue.

given i am a uk citizen, i can claim child benefit but unsure as to if having it in her name would be an issue.

What do you think?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:06 pm

you need to claim in your name, your wife should not be claiming - it is a breach of the condition of her leave.

doubletrouble

Post by doubletrouble » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:29 pm

As mentioned by Guru I would return all the claimed amount with a good explaination and then claim in your name. You can claim back for upto 3 months.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:59 pm

cant u just go n tell them...to correct their records to include YOUR name and not your wife's name... worth a shot!

doubletrouble

Post by doubletrouble » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:13 pm

Good thought but they must back date it to day 1 also you need to ensure nothing appears on her record when home office does checks when she applies for ILR/extension using her NI number.
arsenal49 wrote:cant u just go n tell them...to correct their records to include YOUR name and not your wife's name... worth a shot!