ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR granted; should i proceed with MN1 for son born in UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SpokenHands

ILR granted; should i proceed with MN1 for son born in UK

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:36 pm

I have received an ILR for my self + 2 dependants but did not apply for ILR for my son who was born in the UK.

His leave to remain expires in January 2014.

I am keen to apply for his MN1 entitlement. However as he has no urgent need to travel, may be better off with his current passport while we retain our current nationality, and has sufficient leave to remain, I was wondering if there is any advantage to do so now.

Would it not be easier, possibly even cheaper, to add him when we apply for our Naturalisation in 12 months? Or have I got this all wrong (quite likely as I have not looked into MN1 / AN1....)

Couldnt work out what the charge was for his MN1, either.

Thank you

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:04 pm

It terms of fees, it would only make a difference if you plan to apply for other children registration as well as the cost for a second registration application is 50% (single MN1 application - £540, two MN1 applications £810).

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:41 pm

He may have leave until 2014 but presumably this is as a PBS dependent. You are no longer a PBS migrant and therefore he may have problems for example traveling in and out of the UK using this leave (he may be refused entry to the UK due to change in circumstances).

Whilst there is no requirement for a child born in the UK to apply for leave to remain, if I were you or advising you I would advise on making his application sooner rather than later, and most certainly before you plan to travel. The advantage of doing it now is that it won't get any cheaper (immigration/nationality fees go up, and not down) , and your son will be British.

SpokenHands

2 Children next year

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Yes, one child born overseas received an ILR yesterday.

In 2013, when she becomes entitled for registration, I could possibly apply for her and my son born in the UK at the same time saving 50% fee but also, because there is no signigicant advantage to registering him now, rationalising the time I appear to be spending on immigration matters!!!

I have not begin to do my research for the process for adults yet - but I presume my spouse and I will be on a separate form altogether?!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:35 am

Correct. Each applicant is a separate form to fill in but there is a joint fee for two adults applying together (50% discount for second applicant).