ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IDENTITY CARDS IN THE U.K

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

humble
Newly Registered

IDENTITY CARDS IN THE U.K

Post by humble » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:30 pm

its so strange, because in the U.S.A citizens dont have a national identity card....

a drivers license is really the only way to be identified within the country (nobody carries their passport on them). those who dont have a drivers license can get an identity card from the DMV (dept of motor vehicles).

how is like in the UK?
do citizens have any option of gettting an ID card or do they have to rely on a drivers license????

thanks again.

JAJ
Australia

Re: IDENTITY CARDS IN THE U.K

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:11 pm

humble wrote:its so strange, because in the U.S.A citizens dont have a national identity card....

a drivers license is really the only way to be identified within the country (nobody carries their passport on them). those who dont have a drivers license can get an identity card from the DMV (dept of motor vehicles).

how is like in the UK?
do citizens have any option of gettting an ID card or do they have to rely on a drivers license????
No ID cards in the UK (not yet, anyway): http://www.identitycards.gov.uk

It's only seven or eight years since photo-driver licences started appearing, and there are still a lot of old paper licences in existence.

Passport is normally the only form of official photo-ID available to British citizens who don't have a photo driving licence.

humble
Newly Registered

Post by humble » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:33 pm

ok mate gotcha!

in the U.S.A, the DMV (dept of motor vehicles.. thats the dept that issues drivers licenses) can issue a state ID card which is pretty much the only from of ID other than a drivers license that you can have.

but if you dont have a drivers license, is it possible to be issued any form of picture identity card?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:55 pm

humble wrote: but if you dont have a drivers license, is it possible to be issued any form of picture identity card?

Not from the government. That might change around 2008.

If you decide to move to the United Kingdom, you will need to get used to the idea that certain things will be done very differently compared to the United States.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:21 pm

humble wrote:ok mate gotcha!

in the U.S.A, the DMV (dept of motor vehicles.. thats the dept that issues drivers licenses) can issue a state ID card which is pretty much the only from of ID other than a drivers license that you can have.

but if you dont have a drivers license, is it possible to be issued any form of picture identity card?
I don't have a UK driving licence, but manage fine without any photo ID apart from my passport - and I can't remember the last time I needed to produce that, except when travelling.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

humble
Newly Registered

Post by humble » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:46 pm

from the limited reserach i have done, it seems UK citizens have a 'national insurance number' which i assume is the same as the U.S.A's 'social security number'?

how would i go about getting one of those numbers???

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:10 pm

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:05 pm

And although a National Insurance number should be obtained as soon as possible after arriving in the UK, it is not mandatory for employment if you have a British citizen passport.

However quite a few employers think it is required to start employment.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:59 pm

humble wrote:from the limited reserach i have done, it seems UK citizens have a 'national insurance number' which i assume is the same as the U.S.A's 'social security number'?

how would i go about getting one of those numbers???
Yes it is the same, but it does not hold the same significance as a social security number, ie in the US you need a social security to do just about everything, ie open a bank account, apply for a drivers licence etc, here it is only needed for employment, and even then you will be allocated a temporary one when you first start.

humble
Newly Registered

Post by humble » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:15 am

bottom line....

if i apply for a job in the UK and i dont have a national insurance number, will i be able to work????

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:36 am

Speaking of bottom lines, read the bottom line of bbdivo's post! :)

humble
Newly Registered

Post by humble » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:19 pm

yes i read everybody's post very carefully.
however, his post while very helpful did not clarify a few points:

1) who issues a 'temporary' national insurance number? the employer or the govt' agency for national insuarance?

2) do most employers insist on a national insurance number?

3) can one use a temporary insurance number indefinitely???

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:57 pm

I suggest you read this carefully:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/faqs/ynino.htm

You will find all you need to know on NINs.

1) who issues a 'temporary' national insurance number? the employer or the govt' agency for national insuarance?

The employer, based on your date of birth and sex

2) do most employers insist on a national insurance number?

Yes

3) can one use a temporary insurance number indefinitely???

It is temporary!