ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa - Help Needed

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vaseline
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa - Help Needed

Post by vaseline » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:42 pm

Hello all,

I'm about to apply for a spouse visa in March. I am getting married to my partner whom I have known for two years end of this month (he's British, I'm from Japan) and am thinking of applying for a spouse visa. I hope someone will be able to answer my questions below:

1) Do I need to show a minimum bank balance at all? If yes, how much? I am currently earning about £26k and my partner earns about £23k per annum.

2) One of the requirements stated that we must intend to live together. At the moment we're not living together but after we get married I'm moving in into his house, and his parents will be living together with us. Is this sufficient? What if by the time I apply we still haven't managed to live together?

3) Is it true that I have to apply for the spouse visa 28 days before my current visa expires?

Thank you so much for reading and helping :D

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:49 am

You will have to leave the UK to apply for the spousal visa so having possession of a different visa is of no value

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:22 am

mochyn wrote:You will have to leave the UK to apply for the spousal visa so having possession of a different visa is of no value
Incorrect.

After marriage, 284 permits switching from inside the UK, under specified circumstances.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Re: Spouse Visa - Help Needed

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:37 am

vaseline wrote:1) Do I need to show a minimum bank balance at all? If yes, how much? I am currently earning about £26k and my partner earns about £23k per annum.
Earnings should currently be sufficient.
vaseline wrote:2) One of the requirements stated that we must intend to live together. At the moment we're not living together but after we get married I'm moving in into his house, and his parents will be living together with us. Is this sufficient? What if by the time I apply we still haven't managed to live together?
See also intention and 3rd party support.
vaseline wrote:3) Is it true that I have to apply for the spouse visa 28 days before my current visa expires?
Any time before expiry should be ok, prior to proposed rules changes.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vaseline
Newly Registered

Re: Spouse Visa - Help Needed

Post by vaseline » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 pm

vinny wrote:
vaseline wrote:1) Do I need to show a minimum bank balance at all? If yes, how much? I am currently earning about £26k and my partner earns about £23k per annum.
Earnings should currently be sufficient.
vaseline wrote:2) One of the requirements stated that we must intend to live together. At the moment we're not living together but after we get married I'm moving in into his house, and his parents will be living together with us. Is this sufficient? What if by the time I apply we still haven't managed to live together?
See also intention and 3rd party support.
vaseline wrote:3) Is it true that I have to apply for the spouse visa 28 days before my current visa expires?
Any time before expiry should be ok, prior to proposed rules changes.
Hi Vinny, you're such a superstar! Thank you so much. Only two questions left, hope you're able to help:

- Could you please explain why did you say "any time [to apply for a spouse visa] should be ok prior to proposed rule changes"? I tried to read the postings on the links but cannot find anything? My visa runs out on 31st March, so if I apply, say on 15th March, this should be ok, right?

- Do I need a joint bank account? From the UKBA site it appears that I don't have to, just need to double check.

Thanks very much again for helping
p.s I love your signature!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:46 am

Should be okay.