ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adopted Child

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jim B
Newly Registered

Adopted Child

Post by Jim B » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:44 am

I am a British Citizen married to a Kazakh woman. I have legally adopted her 15 year old daughter through the Family Court in Kazakhstan and have Apostill'ed documents of the Courts decision. We presently live in the Republic of Cyprus where both my wife and daughter presently have valid 5 year Residency documents but because the ROC does not follow EU law in relation to Permanent Residency it looks as if we will have to relocate to the UK.
My first question is; where do we stand with regards to Naturalisation in the UK for our daughter, is it automatic?

Secondly; how long does an adopted child normally have to live in the UK before the are granted British Citizenship? Our concern is that she will be beginning her A Levels in September and being a two year course she will be over eighteen before the course are completed and once completing her studies our daughter will be asked to leave the ROC.

Thanks in advance.

Jim B

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 am

you will need to check the UKBA site to see if the adoption is recognised by UK authorities . I can not open the link to check at the moment .
I do not think it is recognised you may be able to show that it is de facto , again the same site will show this .
I expect you may have to apply for a settlement visa for your child at the same time as your wife.

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... option.pdf

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... tedabroad/
pennyless