ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language test experience

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Your experience of the English Test

It is very difficult, and expensive
38%
It had an adverse effect on my ability to form a family
38%
There are no provision for it in your country of origin, and hence could not obtain an Entry clearance
No votes
ECO refused to accept my application without it
No votes
Me and my spouse were deterred from applying because of it
No votes
Difficult to understand the exempted categories
No votes
My spouse overstayed due to inability to pass the test
No votes
I found the test easy and essential and would like it to stay
25%

Total votes: 8

Obie
Ireland

English Language test experience

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 am

As you all will be aware, changes to paragraph 281 of the immigration rules were implemented on the 29-11-2011.
These changes imposed an additional English Language test for spouse of settled person or British National, in additional to the existing Knowledge of Life in the UK test, which is ususally required for family members seeking settlement at the end of their probation period, or for other applicant under the PBS.

There has be numerous issues with this test, some countries such as Ivory Coast or DRC have no test facilities, therefore citizens from these nations are precluded from making an application, and there are reports that some ECO post are refusing to accept application for Spousal visas in cases were there is no test certificate.

There was also the case of Mrs Chapti, whose case was dismissed by the High Court.

I have decided to open a poll, and get response from affected individuals or groups on this English language test.

I very much welcome as much response as possible.

On the poll, you can tick the box that identifies your situation.

Should you wish to make a comment, please feel free to do so.
Last edited by Obie on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:37 am

the level is so low I do not see what all the fuss is about . Most countries have a language requirement so why should the UK be any different ? Surely this is about encouraging active participation in society etc how can this be the case if a person has no grasp of any english ?
For so long many women have gone to the UK with no English and remained
Beholden on their families how can this be fair for them , encouraging people to have English allows a person more freedom and should be encouraged
pennyless

hur575

Post by hur575 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 pm

This English test requirement is a money making scheme and a way of delaying the flow of more applicants.
It has nothing to do with integrating into society, because

a) the level of english required will not be sufficient to "integrate"
b) if someone does not want to learn english, and live in UK for 20-30 years doing so, they will continue doing just that, and entry level english test will not do anything to change that.

I am British by neutralisation, I came to the UK and I did not speak a word of english, I studied to PHD level now, and I work and pay my taxes. I am bringing my husband, and after we got married they introduced the english test. The test to me does not make sense, as it is easier for my husband to learn here, that how I learned and many people like me. in contrast how many British people by birth work in the middle east and make an effort to learn arabic?? why they do not want to integrate in the society?? and if UAE or Saudi introduced arabic test for dependant visa, how would people feel?? are they going to jump down our throats about integration?

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:37 am

hur575 wrote:This English test requirement is a money making scheme and a way of delaying the flow of more applicants.
It has nothing to do with integrating into society, because

a) the level of english required will not be sufficient to "integrate"
b) if someone does not want to learn english, and live in UK for 20-30 years doing so, they will continue doing just that, and entry level english test will not do anything to change that.

I am British by neutralisation, I came to the UK and I did not speak a word of english, I studied to PHD level now, and I work and pay my taxes. I am bringing my husband, and after we got married they introduced the english test. The test to me does not make sense, as it is easier for my husband to learn here, that how I learned and many people like me. in contrast how many British people by birth work in the middle east and make an effort to learn arabic?? why they do not want to integrate in the society?? and if UAE or Saudi introduced arabic test for dependant visa, how would people feel?? are they going to jump down our throats about integration?

I am sorry I do not agree with you . It is not money making . I think you will find that one can not settle long term in either UAE or KSA so that is not relevant .
pennyless

shaz111

Post by shaz111 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:55 am

I think english test is a good idea, although as we are finding out, in Egypt it is hard to get a test in listeneing and speaking as required, there is only one at the british council and it takes 3 months to get certificate, there are many other tests but they are aimed at people wanting to study B1 etc, which they have to pass all sections even though it is only listenening and speaking that is required.

I think UKBA need to see how hard it is in some countries to get the required test.Also they need to stop constantly changing the tests, maybe only once every 6 months instead of when ever they feel like
Submitted application - Cairo 10th oct 2011
Refused - 12th jan 2012
resubmitted - 26th jun 2012
refused again - 14th oct 2012
appeal lodged - 28th oct 2012
date given - 3rd april 2013
court 15th july
UKBA withdrawn 12th july
still waiting for visa

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:07 pm

I was unaware of lack of facilities and long waiting time in Egypt. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We welcome more feedback from people of their experience. If people could take part in the poll as well, that would be great.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I appreciate your views on the English language test requirement Obie however do you not think that there should be a wider range of options in the poll, if you want a proper cross section of views (i.e. not just negative opinions) e.g. "there were plenty of options in my country to take the test' 'I found the test easy' or 'I was not required to take the test because I was in an exempted category' or 'The test/course was useful for my English language skills for when I came to UK'

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Greenie for mentioning that. I tried to make it as balance as possible, but the last poll category that was supposed to address your concern was not added as a result of an oversight on my part. Thanks again

abman51
Newly Registered

Post by abman51 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:30 pm

Its a money making scheme for the plain faced thieves in Pakistan who love to offer you nothing close to the English Language requirement test and a pure rip off merchants.
Trying to find a nice legimate college proves harder than you would think, even in a big city like Lahore.

hur575

Post by hur575 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:46 pm

pennylessinindia wrote:
I am sorry I do not agree with you . It is not money making . I think you will find that one can not settle long term in either UAE or KSA so that is not relevant .

With all due respect, I think you will find that there are so many Western expats in the middle east, who enjoy the tax free and sunshine and settled there. In Dubai for example, they give permanent residency to anyone who owns a property of certain value. In return some bring their families and immigrate there, either working there for 10-5 years or even longer or who have settled but yet you will find that many of them have no real intention of learning the language. You find that it is the same situation, the only difference UAE or KSA don't claim to be protector of human rights. I will stop hijacking the thread as I think I have made my point clear.

In Regards to the test, I see it useless as it will not change a person, if someone does not want to learn the the language, passing the test for the visa sake will not change that.

In my husband experience, he worked in Saudi and asked about the A1 test and there was a long wait, and he also checked in Egypt, as he is Egyptian and he was welling to travel home for the test. Again the wait was 3 months, he then decided to do the next level A2 and that was available within 2 weeks. Luckily for us they did not require a paper result then but that has been introduced now, and I think there is a long wait for that.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:29 pm

abman51 wrote:Its a money making scheme for the plain faced thieves in Pakistan who love to offer you nothing close to the English Language requirement test and a pure rip off merchants.
Trying to find a nice legimate college proves harder than you would think, even in a big city like Lahore.
It seems like Pakistan can be added to the list of countries that finds it difficult to get facilities that makes provisions, added to the exploitation you mention.

Thanks for this contribution. I was unaware there was such a huge problem in Lahore.

shoko
Newly Registered

Post by shoko » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:58 pm

hur575 wrote:This English test requirement is a money making scheme and a way of delaying the flow of more applicants.
?
Absolutely agree to hur575
I did IELTS and it wasn't difficult cause It s not the first time I did it(my previous expired cause it s valid for 2 years only) but so much money and such a waste of time!

and what if my spouse speaks my language perfectly and we only plan to live here for the two years of the spose visa?! it would make sense to do the English test for naturalisation/ILR and make it a higher level (5.5 would be possible to get for people to integrate and learn English in order to live in the Uk permanently)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:18 am

I take it you guys are of the view this test is essential, but would prefer it is taken prior to settlement, when there will be more facilities for learning and taking the test than abroad.

Guys please, it would be nice if contributors take part in the poll aswell

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Obie wrote:I was unaware of lack of facilities and long waiting time in Egypt. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We welcome more feedback from people of their experience. If people could take part in the poll as well, that would be great.
You do not have a category for it is easy and gave no problems!!
pennyless