ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa - required copies of documents?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

atucker
Newly Registered

Spouse visa - required copies of documents?

Post by atucker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi I have a question regarding exactly what copies of documents are required for the UK spouse visa.
Are photocopies required of every document that is submitted?
I gather a photocopy will be required of the following documents:-

• Passport
• Marriage certificate
• English language requirement

I will be sending the following documents as supporting evidence:-

• Emails
• Text message record
• Phone records
• Letters to each other
• Photos
• Bank statements
• Statement of employment

Are photocopies required of these documents as well? Or is it ok to just send the original documents? I only ask as I will be submitting quite a lot of bank statements so it seems quite crazy that I must provide copies of these as well?
And with email is it ok just show a print screen of emails sent to each other or a general sample of the emails or a print out of all emails?
Many thanks for your help!

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:20 pm

All documents wherever possible must be originals with the exception of the sponsors passport which can be a certified copy, certified by a solicitor.

dlwt
Newly Registered

Post by dlwt » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:08 pm

batleykhan wrote:All documents wherever possible must be originals with the exception of the sponsors passport which can be a certified copy, certified by a solicitor.
Hi there, does British Passport really have to be provided in a certified copy signed by a solicitor? Can the sponsor sign him/herself instead? Surely UKBA can tell whether it is genuine or not.
Please if possible point out where (what link) this is required.
Thanks.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:44 pm

dlwt wrote:
batleykhan wrote:All documents wherever possible must be originals with the exception of the sponsors passport which can be a certified copy, certified by a solicitor.
Hi there, does British Passport really have to be provided in a certified copy signed by a solicitor? Can the sponsor sign him/herself instead? Surely UKBA can tell whether it is genuine or not.
Thanks.
no the sponsor cannot sign instead. it must be certified.

jimmurray
BANNED

Post by jimmurray » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Hi, is it necessary to photocopy ever page (including the blanks), or could you photocopy selectively, the biometric page and then the pages with the visas issued?

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:43 pm

jimmurray wrote:
Hi, is it necessary to photocopy ever page (including the blanks), or could you photocopy selectively, the biometric page and then the pages with the visas issued?
Good to show the Biometric page and any visa and stamps that go with it to show you have visited your spouse on the dates stated etc
pennyless

skyepark

Post by skyepark » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:25 pm

what about acommodation?

You need to seperate docs into the four areas

relationship
finance
acommodation
language.

we had two folder, one full of originals the others of copies, it added up to 44 pages. we printed off print screen of emails from one to the other . Photos can be pasted multiple on one page no more then 10 really. I included an attested page of my bio page at the post office and copies of pages proving visas of holidays together.

dlwt
Newly Registered

Post by dlwt » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:20 am

Greenie wrote:
dlwt wrote:
Thanks.
no the sponsor cannot sign instead. it must be certified.
Hi Greenie,

Recently I have heard at least a few applicants who didn't submit the certified passport page of sponsor's but still succeeded in getting their visas, they also mentioned that this was NOT required by the VFS when handing in all documents (in China). Does this only apply in certain countries? Please can you give me a official link that addresses this issue? Thanks.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:37 am

If you apply with simple photocopies or copies you have signed yourself you are (even more) at the whim of the Entry Clearance Officer who could simply refuse the application on the grounds that evidence of the sponsor's settled status in the UK has not been provided. There was an example of this on the forum recently. Some applicants may get lucky, but why risk being refused and having to go through the expense and stress of an appeal for the sake of getting the passport certified for £10?

VFS do not make decisions - so there is little point in listening to what they say about the requirements.

China (particularly some regions) is considered 'high risk' in terms of fraudulent documents so I would be surprised if all ECOs in China accept an uncertified photocopy of the sponsor's passport.

Here is an example of what applicants in Singapore are advised. Singapore is considered 'low risk' by the UKBA - so if they advise applicants from Singapore to provide certified copies of the sponsor's passport - they will certaintly expect it in cases for other nationals.

http://www.vfs.com.sg/IMPORTANT%20INFOR ... ICANTS.pdf