ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Portuguese Citizenship Query

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

damianpfister
Newly Registered

Portuguese Citizenship Query

Post by damianpfister » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi

Do I qualify for Portuguese citizenship if my Great-Grandmother was born, raised and died there as a national herself?

My Grandfather was born in Mozambique in 1918 (a Portuguese colony at the time) and spent his schooling years in Switzerland (my Great-Grandfather was Swiss) and his late teens and early twenties in Portugal with his Mother.

Later in his twenties he moved back to Mozambique and then on to South Africa, where he died in 2008. Throughout this time he was registered as a Swiss National and traveled on a Swiss Passport.

My own Father obtained Swiss citizenship through birth which then allowed me to request the same before I was 22. In a similar manner is it possible for me to obtain Portuguese citizenship through lineage to my Great-Grandmother, assuming my Grandfather was automatically recognized as a citizen at birth and then my own Father after him?

I do not believe my Grandfather ever obtained a Portuguese Passport, as he had a Swiss one. That said I do not know whether he would still be entitled to Portuguese citizenship (even after death)?

I could attempt to track down birth, death and marriage certificates of my Grandfather and Great-grandfather/mother through the relevant authorities in Portugual, Switzerland and possibly Mozambique.

The question is whether it would be worth the effort, if there is little-to-no chance of me being able to claim Portuguese citizenship through my lineage to them?

Thanks!