ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What happens to visa if passport is lost

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rg1
Member of Standing

What happens to visa if passport is lost

Post by rg1 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:41 am

I have to send my passport for some administrative task.

I wonder if I lose passport, I can get duplicate from my home country's embassy.

But what will happen to UK FLR stampings? Do I have to pay FLR fee again to get stamping done???

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:52 am

I have to send my passport for some administrative task.
Can you be more specific? For example, are you applying for a UK driving licence?
I wonder if I lose passport, I can get duplicate from my home country's embassy.
Yes, exactly that. How long it would take to get a replacement passport would depend upon which country we are talking about.
But what will happen to UK FLR stampings? Do I have to pay FLR fee again to get stamping done???
Yes, you would need to make application for the visa to be put into the new passport. Except, for example, if that old visa is just about to expire, you might not bother to get the old visa put into the new passport, but instead wait until you apply for the new visa to be put into your new passport.

General point ... in a sense the visa is in two places ... your passport and the IND computer system. So losing the passport does not mean the visa is lost. It continues and it is possible to get it put into a replacement passport.
John

Rogerio

Re: What happens to visa if passport is lost

Post by Rogerio » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:03 am

rg1 wrote:I wonder if I lose passport, I can get duplicate from my home country's embassy.
I strongly suggest you take photocopies of your passport, as well as any visas you have on it, before you send your passport off.

In the unfortunate case you lose you passport, you will have much less hassle to prove you have a given visa, and it will be easier for the immigration authorities to find your case, and re-issue the given visa.

Rogerio