ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Date of first arrival and other queries - Form AN

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

wpleo

Date of first arrival and other queries - Form AN

Post by wpleo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Hello there

Just been filling in form AN for naturalisation and got some questions and would appreciate your help:

1. Date of first arrival: I read few similar questions but still not clear on this. I lived here since Feb2004 but was on visitor/academic type visa, until I got WP Feb06 then progressed via HSMP route and finally ILR Feb11. All in country switch. So although I first arrived here in Feb04 but was only in qualifying category (as per ILR application which had similar question on arrival date) since Feb06. Which date to put in this case, ignoring port of arrival as was all within country?

2. I read some people here asking if referees should sign the back of the photograph, however I see no mentioning of this anywhere in the application or the guide. Are people confusing this with the actual passport application?

3. For those like me who just switched to be self-employed. My tax return for this year won’t kick in until April12 with self-assessment due in Jan13. I am considering supplying my last p45 and P60 when I was still an employee, then HMRC letters with NI direct debit details and UTR letter, with written clarification on page 13. Any thoughts on this being sufficient?

4. I have opted to use NCS option. Do they return all the original documents including the passport (which I am using to prove 5 years residence)? And do they in fact post the application on my behalf or do I have then to post it thereafter?

Apology if those questions seem obvious to some of you, but would appreciate your help in clarifying.

Regards

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Date of first arrival and other queries - Form AN

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 am

wpleo wrote:1. Date of first arrival: I read few similar questions but still not clear on this. I lived here since Feb2004 but was on visitor/academic type visa, until I got WP Feb06 then progressed via HSMP route and finally ILR Feb11. All in country switch. So although I first arrived here in Feb04 but was only in qualifying category (as per ILR application which had similar question on arrival date) since Feb06. Which date to put in this case, ignoring port of arrival as was all within country?
Feb 2004.
2. I read some people here asking if referees should sign the back of the photograph, however I see no mentioning of this anywhere in the application or the guide. Are people confusing this with the actual passport application?
Probably. There is no need for a signature on the back of the photo for naturalisation application.
3. For those like me who just switched to be self-employed. My tax return for this year won’t kick in until April12 with self-assessment due in Jan13. I am considering supplying my last p45 and P60 when I was still an employee, then HMRC letters with NI direct debit details and UTR letter, with written clarification on page 13. Any thoughts on this being sufficient?
Are you paying yourself a salary each month as PAYE? If you do, the HO will see you as employed (even if HMRC will see you as self employed). Employees don't need to provide any work related supporting evidence in the application.
4. I have opted to use NCS option. Do they return all the original documents including the passport (which I am using to prove 5 years residence)? And do they in fact post the application on my behalf or do I have then to post it thereafter?
They will go over your application making sure you have filled it in correctly, photocopy your documents (including all pages of passport), return the documents (including passport) to you and post the application on your behalf.

wpleo

Post by wpleo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Thanks for your reply.

1. So date shall be Feb04 even if I was on a non-qualifying category i.e visitor etc?

2. Thanks. So no need for signature really.

3. More like drawings rather than monthly salary so will provide HMRC letters just in case.

4. Cheers again. Sounds good to know you get everything including passport back.

wpleo

Re: Date of first arrival and other queries - Form AN

Post by wpleo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:06 pm

Jambo wrote:
wpleo wrote:1. Date of first arrival: I read few similar questions but still not clear on this. I lived here since Feb2004 but was on visitor/academic type visa, until I got WP Feb06 then progressed via HSMP route and finally ILR Feb11. All in country switch. So although I first arrived here in Feb04 but was only in qualifying category (as per ILR application which had similar question on arrival date) since Feb06. Which date to put in this case, ignoring port of arrival as was all within country?
Feb 2004.
Hello again,

As am very nearing to submit my application just needed to re-check again the above query, and when stating that first arrival date as Feb04 which is most likely the option I would go for, does it matter if that was within qualifying categroy or not? i.e Visitor visa at the time, as the guide states "the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on long-term basis", as opposed to putting in Feb06 when I switched to WP which was the start of qualifying period towards ILR?

Apology for raising this concern again but your further explanation and assurance is appreciated.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Not an issue. You won't get a refusal because you got this question wrong.