ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

retaining German nationality

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ca.funke
Belgium

retaining German nationality

Post by ca.funke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:06 pm

I wonder about the following:

A German citizen aquires Belgian citizenship. According to §25 he can retain German citizenship and is now a dual citizen:
§ 25 of the German nationality law wrote:§ 25
(1) Ein Deutscher verliert seine Staatsangehörigkeit mit dem Erwerb einer ausländischen Staatsangehörigkeit(...). Der Verlust nach Satz 1 tritt nicht ein, wenn ein Deutscher die Staatsangehörigkeit eines anderen Mitgliedstaates der Europäischen Union (...) erwirbt (...).
Later, said dual-citizen aquires another 3rd citizenship, outside of the EU. Would he now have all 3 nationalities, or lose German citizenship?

After all the law sais "if a German aquires another citizenship inside the EU, the loss of German citizenship does not occur."

I know that´s probably not what the law wants to achieve, but would this be an accidental consequence due to bad wording?

Racial Equality
BANNED

Northern European Citizenship

Post by Racial Equality » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:16 am

If you are accepted as a Northern European you should not have problems with multiple Northern European (Nordic) Citizenship.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Northern European Citizenship

Post by ca.funke » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 am

facial Equality wrote:If you are accepted as a Northern European you should not have problems with multiple Northern European (Nordic) Citizenship.
I was looking into Australia/Canada. However, I guess the questions is also valid for Norway/Iceland (=non-EU).

Sweden and Finland are in the EU, so no problems to be expected anyway...

Racial Equality
BANNED

Australian and Canadian facial Classification

Post by Racial Equality » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:05 pm

ca.funke wrote:
facial Equality wrote:If you are accepted as a Northern European you should not have problems with multiple Northern European (Nordic) Citizenship.
I was looking into Australia/Canada. . . . . . . .

The British Government classify Australians as "Other White"

We have not been able to find any British Government facial information about Canadians. We suspect that Canadians are classified as White like the British and use the same facial Classification system.
Last edited by Racial Equality on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Australian and Canadian facial Classification

Post by ca.funke » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:29 pm

Why are you hijacking my thread for something I never asked?

If you have your own topic, start a new thread...

Racial Equality
BANNED

Re: Australian and Canadian facial Classification

Post by Racial Equality » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:52 pm

ca.funke wrote:Why are you hijacking my thread for something I never asked?

If you have your own topic, start a new thread...

SORRY! :shock:

Just trying to be helpful. :)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: retaining German nationality

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:21 pm

ca.funke wrote:I wonder about the following:

A German citizen aquires Belgian citizenship. According to §25 he can retain German citizenship and is now a dual citizen:
§ 25 of the German nationality law wrote:§ 25
(1) Ein Deutscher verliert seine Staatsangehörigkeit mit dem Erwerb einer ausländischen Staatsangehörigkeit(...). Der Verlust nach Satz 1 tritt nicht ein, wenn ein Deutscher die Staatsangehörigkeit eines anderen Mitgliedstaates der Europäischen Union (...) erwirbt (...).
Later, said dual-citizen aquires another 3rd citizenship, outside of the EU. Would he now have all 3 nationalities, or lose German citizenship?

After all the law sais "if a German aquires another citizenship inside the EU, the loss of German citizenship does not occur."

I know that´s probably not what the law wants to achieve, but would this be an accidental consequence due to bad wording?
Not being a lawyer makes it hard to say. But I think the law would be interpreted with the intent in mind.

Plus, my (poor) reading of the German makes me think that the second sentence refers to the time when the German is applying (erwirbt) for the citizenship of another EU member state. It is not referring to situations where at some point in the past that German had previously gotten citizenship in another EU member state.

With regards to citizenship, I have the sense though that Germany has a bit of don't ask don't tell in action. I think a lot of Germans have become citizens of the US or Canada or ... and did not ask permission in advance to keep their German citizenship.