ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship delay story in The Journal.ie

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Citizenship delay story in The Journal.ie

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:09 pm

"I've been waiting three years on my citizenship application"

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column- ... plication/

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:55 pm

The article shows how far from reality the system works, and how counterproductive it can be.

Her brother, PhD in mechanical engineering, surely can´t be a stoopid guy. Depriving him of citizenship for driving a car without "L" plates, surely won´t help the state to achieve anything. In the worst case he might not get a certain job, simply because it involves travelling (which he cannot do easily without Irish nationality). In the last consequence he may have to live off the Dole just because of that, where in contrast he could be a highly educated, motivated and thankful citizen, paying taxes. (I´m not saying it´ll happen to him, but something similar WILL happen to someone! And every single case is one too many!)

I´m not the biggest fan of German naturalisation law, but in this case the German law makes more sense: While a crime excludes you from receiving German nationality, the penalty for the crime has to exceed 90 days in prison, otherwise it is disregarded.

So driving without "L" plates, crossing a red light, jaywalking, or other every-day offences simply do not matter. And that´s the way it should be.

From what I saw in Ireland, chronic jaywalking should be mandatory for any aspiring citizen!

starbuck

Re: ...

Post by starbuck » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:10 pm

I never bought a car in Ireland due to the fear of adverse garda attention of L board, Traffic Crossing etc. My wife keeps nagging about it .. and when i show her these articles .. all she can do is empathize with me .. anyways .. lets hope all the eligible people get the citizenship in due course of time ..

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:52 pm

same here starbuck .i used to drive in my home country and also i have full driving liecense here but still i dont want to drive in irelandbecause i dont want to give them excuse to refuse my entry .they should have some better reason to refuse the entry.

Malika

Post by Malika » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:22 am

I don't want to sound pedantic but the current Travel Documents are valid for 10 years not 1 year any more as it used to be.(He says that he can't travel because some Visa require some months validity)

The new Travel Document(which replaced the older version) is such an improvement from the previous one that almost certainly guaranteed you would be told to " Step aside" and made some Immigration officials in some countries suspect it as a fake. What with it being hand-written and a photo glued to it.

The new one is so good, almost looks like an Irish passport with the Harp!
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:28 pm

I was deeply troubled by that story. It is shameful that things have not improved at the Justice Department to date.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

kiwiwife1

Post by kiwiwife1 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:51 pm

Obie wrote:I was deeply troubled by that story. It is shameful that things have not improved at the Justice Department to date.
I would have thought that refugees would be prioritised for naturalisation???!! It's not like they are from a nice, safe country......

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:55 pm

They are supposed to be covered under the 3 years residency qualification rules which applies to Spouses of Irish Citizens.

However the shambles in the system negates the benefits entirely
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:07 pm

It depends on the situation.

Did the offence and conviction happen before making the application, and if so, did he disclose that information? If he did not disclose that information, the refusal was justified. Failure to disclose is an automatic refusal

However, very different story if the event happened while waiting, could be challenged.

Anyway, apply again, by emphasizing
(1) As a refugee, essentially they are stateless (not technically, but practically, and things aint going to change) Moreover, since he is a refugee, they do get a lot of leeway with social welfare and offences

(2) disclose the info about the offence. The offence was nonsense, but, just show "absolute remorse". Don't make any negative comment about how stupid it was, (even though it was - sure Shatter's wife made headlines (unfairly) for drink driving, an aim papers tried to embarrass him)

(3) Put far more information into the application, pointing out his good character, no other offences, his real connection to the State, his educational status. Family status etc

Seriously I really doubt he would fail then

cnu

Post by cnu » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:28 am

walrusgumble wrote:It depends on the situation.

Did the offence and conviction happen before making the application, and if so, did he disclose that information? If he did not disclose that information, the refusal was justified. Failure to disclose is an automatic refusal

However, very different story if the event happened while waiting, could be challenged.

Anyway, apply again, by emphasizing
(1) As a refugee, essentially they are stateless (not technically, but practically, and things aint going to change) Moreover, since he is a refugee, they do get a lot of leeway with social welfare and offences

(2) disclose the info about the offence. The offence was nonsense, but, just show "absolute remorse". Don't make any negative comment about how stupid it was, (even though it was - sure Shatter's wife made headlines (unfairly) for drink driving, an aim papers tried to embarrass him)

(3) Put far more information into the application, pointing out his good character, no other offences, his real connection to the State, his educational status. Family status etc

Seriously I really doubt he would fail then
Well Said! and Honesty pays!

Irishmigrant
Newly Registered

Re: Citizenship delay story in The Journal.ie

Post by Irishmigrant » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:17 pm

ImmigrationLawyer wrote:"I've been waiting three years on my citizenship application"

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/column- ... plication/
Sometimes we have to accept the truth. First of all he should try to get the answer from DOJ. Then only he can get clear idea that on what reason his application was turned down.
There may be various reasons behind from his family history/background or false declaration etc. This may not relate to anything with the present educational background or their status now. But it may affect their naturalisation in this country.
It is better to wait or get the anwer from the INIS

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 pm

It looks like the departments approach to such crimes have changed. Do we know when this guy was turned down? Is this an old case, before the department came to their senses?

I believe a few people with over speeding offences (just fines and points - no convictions) were given citizenship without any hassle!
-xxxtieee-