ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Where to start?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LadySSSS

Where to start?

Post by LadySSSS » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:34 pm

I am moving to the UK in few days, on spouse visa, and i think I already picked almost all information about what I have to do and how to do it once i am there... I am not completely sure which order to take... I am mostly confused about proof of residence, since that is required for bank account and for NIC if i got it right?
So is the first thing to do go and register with Council and wait for them to send me evidence of residence which i will then use to open bank account and apply for NIC? I also want to get mobile phone contract, so I am wondering will that be enough evidence for opening bank account? I am guessing i need some evidence of residence for that mobile phone contract too... and available bank account. So confusing...

Could somebody please share their experience as to what is the quickest way to sort this out?

Thanks

derlin

Re: Where to start?

Post by derlin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:44 pm

LadySSSS wrote:I am moving to the UK in few days, on spouse visa, and i think I already picked almost all information about what I have to do and how to do it once i am there... I am not completely sure which order to take... I am mostly confused about proof of residence, since that is required for bank account and for NIC if i got it right?
So is the first thing to do go and register with Council and wait for them to send me evidence of residence which i will then use to open bank account and apply for NIC? I also want to get mobile phone contract, so I am wondering will that be enough evidence for opening bank account? I am guessing i need some evidence of residence for that mobile phone contract too... and available bank account. So confusing...

Could somebody please share their experience as to what is the quickest way to sort this out?

Thanks
LadySSSS wrote:I am not completely sure which order to take... I am mostly confused about proof of residence, since that is required for bank account and for NIC if i got it right?
Yes. Signing up to the electoral register (or local council, as you call it) identifies your name to a specific address. But, in your case, it might not be enough to open up a current account with a bank; or obtain a contract phone. Banks and mobile phone retailers or mobile phone operators ideally seek a 5 to 10 year history of living in an address (addresses) in the UK. This is so true with mobile phone operators/retailers where an average-to-excellent credit history in the last five years or so is a condition for a successful contract phone purchase.

However, you can still open a cash-card account which has limited benefits compared with the standard account, popularly known as current account. If not all, most banks offer cash-card accounts to newly arrivals. See: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... G_10035164.

hur575

Post by hur575 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi,

The quickest way I heard, to apply for NI number as soon as you get here, once you have the number then you can open an account , it will all fall in place then.

My husband got his spouse visa, and I was advice of this, I went and asked my bank and they confirmed this, they will open an account for him once he get the letter with number on it but not the interview letter.

To get phone contract you will need to have some credit history. Some get basic credit cards, use it and pay the full amount each month and build some decent history.

LadySSSS

Post by LadySSSS » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:12 am

Ok, so a little update on my curent situation. I applied for NI, waiting on their letter now, got all the papers to apply for NHS card and register with local GP, and got mobile phone contract on my husband's name, so it is all great so far :)

There is something I am very confused about tho... I went to local council - electoral register, and they gave me some form to fill in, so i did that. Now i got letter from them saying that I am not entiteled to be registered since I am not citizen of any of the countries listed... Which i understand, not a problem at all. I dont wish to be able to vote anyway... But now I am confused because i thought that this is sort of evidence of me being registered at this adress, since i have been told that i do not need to register with Police. I really dont understand now do i have to officially be registered somewhere or that is not necessary...

I appreciate your help.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 am

That's correct you are not entitled to vote so cannot be added to the electoral role.

you don't need to be 'officially' registered anywhere in terms of this being a legal requirement once you come to the UK but you will need to have prood that you and your husband have been living together for the two year probationary period when you come to apply for settlement. You will persumably be added to the council tax bill, and you can also add yourself to utility bills

LadySSSS

Post by LadySSSS » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks for answering Greenie. Found how to do it online, and added myself to the Council bill.