ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS EU Citizens and Spouses

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

EUsmileWEallsmile

NHS EU Citizens and Spouses

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 pm

Has anyone had problems registering for NHS doctor as EU citizen or spouse thereof?

We had a somewhat interesting experience being asked to show that we weren't persons from abroad etc, etc.

They were rather sorry they asked in the end as a whole file of documentation demonstrating entitlement was produced forthwith. Registration completed there and then. Clerks suggested that this was all new to them, but bosses had forced it on them.

greatscott
United Kingdom

Re: NHS EU Citizens and Spouses

Post by greatscott » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:42 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Has anyone had problems registering for NHS doctor as EU citizen or spouse thereof?

We had a somewhat interesting experience being asked to show that we weren't persons from abroad etc, etc.

They were rather sorry they asked in the end as a whole file of documentation demonstrating entitlement was produced forthwith. Registration completed there and then. Clerks suggested that this was all new to them, but bosses had forced it on them.
Even though we had an apostille marriage certificate, they insisted my wife produce proof of address. They registered me based on my passport and a Tesco's letter addressed to where we are currently staying, but we didn't think of getting these things in her name too. So now waiting for a letter from a retailer to prove she lives at an address in the uk!
In the meantime waiting for COA for our EEA2, so she doesn't have the passport any longer as her primary ID.....so will probably be knocked back again if we dare go in.

anyway live and learn- not too serious.

euftw
Newly Registered

Post by euftw » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:02 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote: ...They were rather sorry they asked in the end as a whole file of documentation demonstrating entitlement was produced forthwith. Registration completed there and then...
may I ask what documentation was provided to demonstrate entitlement?
It may be useful in case other people run into trouble lik that.

I remember I read some other post(s) on this forum about EEAnational+spouse having trouble registering at GP. May have been a while back though, so maybe it's a non-issue nowadays.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:06 am

Greatscott, I recommend you complain with the Primary Care Trust for your area, or at least ask them for clarification about the procedures

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 pm

euftw wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote: ...They were rather sorry they asked in the end as a whole file of documentation demonstrating entitlement was produced forthwith. Registration completed there and then...
may I ask what documentation was provided to demonstrate entitlement?
It may be useful in case other people run into trouble lik that.

I remember I read some other post(s) on this forum about EEAnational+spouse having trouble registering at GP. May have been a while back though, so maybe it's a non-issue nowadays.
Search registering for NHS for the area you are in and you should find the information. There are different rules for different regions.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:40 pm

greatscott wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Has anyone had problems registering for NHS doctor as EU citizen or spouse thereof?

Even though we had an apostille marriage certificate, they insisted my wife produce proof of address. They registered me based on my passport and a Tesco's letter addressed to where we are currently staying, but we didn't think of getting these things in her name too. So now waiting for a letter from a retailer to prove she lives at an address in the uk!
In the meantime waiting for COA for our EEA2, so she doesn't have the passport any longer as her primary ID.....so will probably be knocked back again if we dare go in.

anyway live and learn- not too serious.
Proof of address was our first stumbling block, followed by utility company who could not write Mr and Mrs name A and name B on the same letter.

euftw
Newly Registered

Post by euftw » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:38 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote: Search registering for NHS for the area you are in and you should find the information. There are different rules for different regions.
ah, I didn't know the rules are not the same everywhere in England regarding registering.
thanks.

edit: fyi, for people in Manchester, I found this useful link:
http://www.manchester.nhs.uk/getintouch ... _with_a_GP_