ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing benefit and ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alexmoore
Newly Registered

Housing benefit and ILR

Post by alexmoore » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:22 pm

I am sorry to post a new topic but I am a little bit confused.

I am on 2 years spouse visa, in process to apply for ILR.
My wife is claiming Housing benefits in her name as she is a British citizen, and I am reported as living with her, I contribute in the rent and council tax since I work full time.

Does that affect my ILR process in any way?

cherryplum

Post by cherryplum » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:50 pm

From what I remember when i was on the 2 year spouse visa my husband had to give up all benefit (all he had was the council tax one). Mt visa said no recourse to public funds. We were both unemployed at one point and he did not seek any benefit as my visa meant he couldn't get any as he is supposed to support me. So from what I remember the benefit will probably affect your ILR application.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 pm

has your wife declared your income and immigration status in her HB claim?

alexmoore
Newly Registered

Post by alexmoore » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:47 pm

yes she did.

bluecole2
- thin ice -

Post by bluecole2 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:04 am

I suppose you should be claiming together as a couple in the first place.

Your wife has to inform HB about change in family circumstances. They can review her claim and decide whether or not she's still entitled to housing benefit. This may result in continuous payment or cut in benefit paid or payment stop.

Whatever the result once you declare everything, it shouldn't have any negative effect on your ILR app.