ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to maintain US Greencard with UK PR.

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sys_sagar

How to maintain US Greencard with UK PR.

Post by sys_sagar » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:54 pm

i have US GC and applying for UK PR. I also got US re-entry permit valid for 2 years. I want to know if I apply for UK PR, will I loose my US GC.

Having said that, as my re-entry permit is still valid, if i get UK citizenship after 1 year and then enter US , will i risk loosing US GC given that when I am planning to enter US with UK passport, my re-entry permit would still be valid

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: How to maintain US Greencard with UK PR.

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:33 pm

sys_sagar wrote:i have US GC and applying for UK PR. I also got US re-entry permit valid for 2 years. I want to know if I apply for UK PR, will I loose my US GC.
Most likely, yes. I remember one case involving a LPR (green card holder) who travelled to Canada to "activate" his permanent resident status there. It was meant to be a day trip, but when he tried to get back into the US he was denied entry, on the grounds that he had abandoned his LPR status.
sys_sagar wrote:Having said that, as my re-entry permit is still valid, if i get UK citizenship after 1 year and then enter US , will i risk loosing US GC given that when I am planning to enter US with UK passport, my re-entry permit would still be valid
Most likely, you will lose your LPR status the moment you become a permanent resident in the UK. The only way to make sure is to consult a US immigration attorney familiar with abandonment issues.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:10 pm

sys_sagar, even after you left the US, have you continued to submit USFIT returns every year?
John

sys_sagar

Post by sys_sagar » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi John,

I have my own house in US.
I have been filling US tax returns with my wife (jointly) for last 4 years with 3 years using my SSN
I do also have US driving license