ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstaying in the UK

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

StudentNeedAdvice
Newly Registered

Overstaying in the UK

Post by StudentNeedAdvice » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:06 am

Hi All,

I hope you are all well. I am a PhD Student in a good school in London and finishing very soon (in August). My student visa expires in December 2012. Since there is no PSW after April I started looking for job early, many companies rejected me they explicitly told me that they are cutting costs and therefore do not sponsor international students anymore. I am thinking about publishing my thesis work and get a good academic position but even this option is problematic because my visa is expiring 4 months after my thesis submission (which is in August). Overall, things look a bit hectic here....I really appreciate any advice you could give me. Shall I overstay in the UK (after the expiry of my visa)? What shall I do ?

Is there any type of visa that enables students with good degrees to stay in the UK?

Thanks a lot for yur help

Kind REgards

StudentNeed help

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:20 am

A deliberate overstay will not only destroy your all immigration history, it will also make you permanent suspect of antisocial behaviour, in the eyes of immigration authorities.

Look over the UKBA website. There are many newly introduced immigration schemes which make good exceptional graduates enable to stay in UK after completion of studies.

StudentNeedAdvice
Newly Registered

Post by StudentNeedAdvice » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 am

Deviser wrote:A deliberate overstay will not only destroy your all immigration history, it will also make you permanent suspect of antisocial behaviour, in the eyes of immigration authorities.

Look over the UKBA website. There are many newly introduced immigration schemes which make good exceptional graduates enable to stay in UK after completion of studies.
Dear Sir

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Could you please be more specific? I believe I know the UKBA website quite well here are the schemes that I am aware of:

Tiers 1 (expectional talent): you cannot apply while you are in the UK + not really clear what are the requirements....

Tiers 1 entrepreneur: you need money + create jobs

Tiers 1 investor: you need LOT of money

Tiers 1 general (closed)

Which visa category are you referring to?

Thank you very much and Best

StudentNeedAdvice

madona587
Member of Standing

Post by madona587 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:47 am

If you almost got a Phd (Well done btw) and got skills you could look for a job and try to secure a TIER2 Employee sponsored visa.

Here is a list of companies that are already registered with UKBA and can sponsor you.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ofsponsors

If I were you I would spend some time researching on these companies looking for vacancies that might suit you and try to contact them. Remember with your TIER4 student visa you can switch to TIER2 in country.

The company has to do a RLMT and must be willing to pay you for the appropriate salary for your job tile based on the SOC list.

Here is the list :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... duate-cop/

As you have already figured out there are no other easy ways. I kinda understand your frustration but thats how the system works unfortunately.

I wish you good luck :P
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on :)

StudentNeedAdvice
Newly Registered

Post by StudentNeedAdvice » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:00 am

madona587 wrote:If you almost got a Phd (Well done btw) and got skills you could look for a job and try to secure a TIER2 Employee sponsored visa.

Here is a list of companies that are already registered with UKBA and can sponsor you.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ofsponsors

If I were you I would spend some time researching on these companies looking for vacancies that might suit you and try to contact them. Remember with your TIER4 student visa you can switch to TIER2 in country.

The company has to do a RLMT and must be willing to pay you for the appropriate salary for your job tile based on the SOC list.

Here is the list :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... duate-cop/

As you have already figured out there are no other easy ways. I kinda understand your frustration but thats how the system works unfortunately.

I wish you good luck :P
Thank you Madonna I appreciate your email.

madona587
Member of Standing

Post by madona587 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:28 am

You are welcome.

And don't EVER overstay under any circumstances.

Good luck with everything dude 8)
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on :)

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:57 pm

You should also seriously think about your life and what you want to achieve from it. With a PhD you can have a fulfilling career in many places in the world. If Uk does not work out, its not the end of the world. Overstaying is a bad idea. So many negatives and no positive. You wont be able to get a job as an illegal immigrant and your PhD will be unusable in the UK and a lot of countries, because of this record. It is not worth it.

StudentNeedAdvice
Newly Registered

Post by StudentNeedAdvice » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:10 pm

[quote="quantum1"]You should also seriously think about your life and what you want to achieve from it. With a PhD you can have a fulfilling career in many places in the world. If Uk does not work out, its not the end of the world. Overstaying is a bad idea. So many negatives and no positive. You wont be able to get a job as an illegal immigrant and your PhD will be unusable in the UK and a lot of countries, because of this record. It is not worth it.[/quote]

Thank you for this advice quantum1. Much appreciated!

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:54 pm

Check out the policy draft of changes in immigration laws of April 2012. There are some other routes introduced for graduate who complete their degrees in UK. May be the one or any one will suit you.