ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Visa and buying property

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

newbie_t

Tier 1 Visa and buying property

Post by newbie_t » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Hi everyone,

Apologies if I am posting this query in the wrong forum, its not purely visa related.

I am currently on Tier 1 visa, eligible for ILR in October this year. Our landlord has decided to sell his property where we are living atm and we are interested to buy it. In fact, my mortgage broker has told me that one of the banks are willing to offer mortgage 4.69% on fixed rate for next three years if we can do a 15% deposit.

The question is, are there any cons if we buy a property while on tier 1 visa - will it make any difference on interest rates? BTW, I am a contractor working through my limited company.

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

techie_09

Post by techie_09 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:15 pm

You can buy property in UK without any restrictions.

The one downside of buying it while on Tier 1 is you may not get much deals because some banks only provide mortgage to person with permanent residency.

regards
Techie

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:22 pm

based on my experience normally all major high street lenders lend mortgage to limited leave to remain visa holders.
certain building societies / smaller lenders are bit selective however there is no guarantee that one would get better rate there.

rate depends on various factors - % deposit, type of mortgage, type of deal, existing relationship with the lender etc.