ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Punjab
BANNED

Applying for BC

Post by Punjab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:26 am

Dear All,
Just a question about BC. I have PR from Feb 2012 till 2022 but I became eligible for PR in dec 2012.

Could you please tell me when can I to apply for BC in Dec 2013 or in Feb 2013?

Many Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:08 am

You can apply in December. In this case, you will need to provide all the evidence to prove that (some evidence used for the EEA4 application). If you apply 1 year after the PR sticker date, there is no need to prove it again. The sticker is enough.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:16 am

also note you don't have PR from 2012-2022 - PR is 'permanent' it is just the PR sticker/card etc that expires. It doesn't mean that your PR 'expires' in 2022.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Dear All,
Many thanks for your replies. Guys I couldn’t find a page for documents or information which Jambo mentioned. If possible could you send me the link please containing all supporting documents need to send to HO. Many Thanks again

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:31 pm

The last page of the application form - Form AN - lists the supporting documents required.

Section 4 includes the documents needed if you don't have PR confirmation for more than 12 months when applying.

Punjab
BANNED

Post by Punjab » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Many Thanks Jambo for your help

spike_UK

Jumbo,Punjab

Post by spike_UK » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:46 pm

Can you explain how, u got PR on Feb 2012 but u eligible for BC on Dec?!!
I hope that u right anyway just wanted to know how it work, thanks
Applied for EEA4 on 24/02/2012.
HO received on 27/02/2012.
Refusal received on 16/08/2012 dated 11/08/2012
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Greenie wrote:also note you don't have PR from 2012-2022 - PR is 'permanent' it is just the PR sticker/card etc that expires. It doesn't mean that your PR 'expires' in 2022.
Just to clarify, PR status can be lost if absent from the UK for more than two consecutive years. Other than that of course, it does not expire.

Punjab
BANNED

Re: Jumbo,Punjab

Post by Punjab » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:04 pm

spike_UK wrote:Can you explain how, u got PR on Feb 2012 but u eligible for BC on Dec?!!
I hope that u right anyway just wanted to know how it work, thanks
Hi spike_UK,
I was married in December 2006 so it make 5 years in December 2011. Hence we applied for EEA3/4. Now what fellow members said that I can apply for my BC in December 2012 after being 6 yrs in the uk or with my spouse but I must provide all the evidence which I provided when I applied for my eea4. So I will still depend on my eea partner in December 2012 for BC application in a way. But as my PR was issued in February 2012 then on February 2013 I can apply withoutg shouing my wife;s paper of 5 years history etc. but I will have to show my 5 years history.

afsheenazeem
Newly Registered

Post by afsheenazeem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:57 am

hi Punjab, my situation is pretty much same also.i got married in aug 2006 but got my RC in aug 2007.now im due for PR this year and according to rules for naturalization of one year after PR, i wud only be able to apply for naturalization in 2013, a year after i get PR but if i count 6 years from the day i got married, i can apply this year. is there anyone who can confirm that????? and if thats the case, is there any additional documents that you would have to attach when applying for naturalization based on your six years??

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:17 am

afsheenazeem wrote:hi Punjab, my situation is pretty much same also.i got married in aug 2006 but got my RC in aug 2007.now im due for PR this year and according to rules for naturalization of one year after PR, i wud only be able to apply for naturalization in 2013, a year after i get PR but if i count 6 years from the day i got married, i can apply this year. is there anyone who can confirm that????? and if thats the case, is there any additional documents that you would have to attach when applying for naturalization based on your six years??
Did you get married in the UK? Or did you enter the UK as a married person shortly after? Just being married is not enough. You need to have lived in the UK for the time to be counted.

See more PR & BC.

If you read the naturalisation application form (form AN) there is a dedicated section for such cases (2.4-2.6). The last page of the application form lists the required evidence.

BTW - any special reason you applied via a solicitor? If your case is not straightforward, I would be careful risking the £800 application fee and apply directly for BC unless the evidence provided for the EEA3/4 application matches exactly the same period required for naturalisation.

afsheenazeem
Newly Registered

Post by afsheenazeem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:50 am

Hi Jambo,
I gt married in uk. Yep ur right, couldve done it myself but i jusr didnt wanna take the rist as my RC application got returned couple of time due to various silly mistakes i made so just wanted to be on the safe side. Are u saying even after having acquired the PR, one has to submit the same documents for naruralization??

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 am

afsheenazeem wrote:Are u saying even after having acquired the PR, one has to submit the same documents for naruralization??
Have you clicked on the link I provided? It is explained there.

If you don't want to wait 1 year after the PR sticker date and apply directly after 6 years, then - yes. You will need to provide similar evidence to support your claim for PR.

afsheenazeem
Newly Registered

Post by afsheenazeem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:58 pm

hi Jambo,

yes i looked at the link provided and understand what you mean but whats the point of having a PR if i have to go through the pain all over again incase I dont want to wait for one year after PR and apply after 6 years from the day I got married for naturalization application? now fair enough its a requirement as you might say but wouldn't just the proof i.e. marriage certificate do instead of the proof of my partners exercising treaty rights in 5 years which is going to include the whole pile of pay slips, bank statements and God knows what not? please enlighten!!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:27 pm

What's the point of having a PR confirmation?

Well, PR status is obtained automatically. Applying for confirmation using EEA3/4 is optional. Why did you apply for it?

People have their own reasons. I can think of several:

1) If your RC expires, your employer might want to see a proof of your entitlement to work. Having a PR confirmation helps.
2) Not everyone wants to apply for BC.
3) PR confirmation is free and it helps flushing out any issues without risking the £800 application fee for naturalisation.

The requirement for BC is not 6 years from marriage. One of the requirements is 12 months after PR. In order to prove the date the PR was obtained, you need to show the EEA national activities for 5 years.

You don't need to send a whole pile of papers to obtain PR confirmation. People tend to send everything they got "just in case" but as a matter of fact - a reasonable application should not need more than 5-10 pages of evidence and could weight less than 200gr (including the passports).

afsheenazeem
Newly Registered

Post by afsheenazeem » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:50 pm

you have to excuse my ignorance but isn't that correct that if you have been married to an EEA national (plus fulfilling all other requirements) for 5 years, you acquire a PR status? and a year after that you can apply for naturalization so technically speaking 6 years from marriage, you qualify to apply for BC?!?!

please correct me if im wrong.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:59 pm

afsheenazeem wrote:you have to excuse my ignorance but isn't that correct that if you have been married to an EEA national (plus fulfilling all other requirements) for 5 years, you acquire a PR status? and a year after that you can apply for naturalization so technically speaking 6 years from marriage, you qualify to apply for BC?!?!

please correct me if im wrong.
You are correct in cases of married couples who married in the UK but strictly speaking the requirement is not 6 years of marriage but PR + 1 year. So this is also applicable to married couples who married abroad before moving to the UK, unmarried partners or dependents under EEA regulations.

In your previous post you said
wouldn't just the proof i.e. marriage certificate do instead of the proof of my partners exercising treaty rights in 5 years
and the answer is marriage certificate is not enough as this alone doesn't give you PR.