ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

meeting 10 point for valid stay during study in UK FOR PSW

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

PSW WORRIES

meeting 10 point for valid stay during study in UK FOR PSW

Post by PSW WORRIES » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:17 am

i just finished a masters degree programme and during the programme, 10 months i was on appeal, in the 10th month , i won the appeal, but immigration officer gave me discretionary leave , instead of student visa, for just one month.
Went back to my country to re apply to complete dissertation in october, came back in december , with 2 months visa. Completed dissertation in feb .

Can one say I had a valid student visa during study?

derlin

Re: meeting 10 point for valid stay during study in UK FOR P

Post by derlin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 pm

PSW WORRIES wrote:i just finished a masters degree programme and during the programme, 10 months i was on appeal, in the 10th month , i won the appeal, but immigration officer gave me discretionary leave , instead of student visa, for just one month.
Went back to my country to re apply to complete dissertation in october, came back in december , with 2 months visa. Completed dissertation in feb .

You had valid leave in the UK called discretionary leave. Question: Did the discretionary leave prohibit you from studying?

PSW WORRIES

Post by PSW WORRIES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:10 pm

derlin wrote:
PSW WORRIES wrote:i just finished a masters degree programme and during the programme, 10 months i was on appeal, in the 10th month , i won the appeal, but immigration officer gave me discretionary leave , instead of student visa, for just one month.

You had valid leave in the UK called discretionary leave. Question: Did the discretionary leave prohibit you from studying?
nope, in fact , i was given the discretionary leave, so i can complete my studies, unfortunately i twas just for one month and i could not finish my disssertattion. I eventually went back to my country to re apply and i got a tier 4 visa to finally complete my dissertation.

will this count against my application for PSW?

derlin

Post by derlin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:58 pm

PSW WORRIES wrote:
derlin wrote:

nope, in fact , i was given the discretionary leave, so i can complete my studies, unfortunately i twas just for one month and i could not finish my disssertattion. I eventually went back to my country to re apply and i got a tier 4 visa to finally complete my dissertation.

will this count against my application for PSW?
Before I respond to your question, I want to know if you left the UK before the expiry date of the one-month visa?

PSW WORRIES

re

Post by PSW WORRIES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:08 pm

yes, i left before visa expired and i applied from my home country to come back to finish my dissertation.
Got the visa ( 2 months this time ).
Finished my dissertation in Feb and visa was expiring, so I applied for renewal to complete ACCA.
I was refused because HO said i did not have established presence.
I was given opportunity to appeal. I also have option of applying for PSW because my Msc results are out, but that will be an out of time application.
Before taking such a risk, i wanted to be sure there will be no grounds for refusal of the PSW.

derlin

Re: re

Post by derlin » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:44 pm

PSW WORRIES wrote:yes, i left before visa expired and i applied from my home country to come back to finish my dissertation.
Finished my dissertation in Feb and visa was expiring, so I applied for renewal to complete ACCA.
I was given opportunity to appeal. I also have option of applying for PSW because my Msc results are out, but that will be an out of time application.
Before taking such a risk, i wanted to be sure there will be no grounds for refusal of the PSW.
If I understand you well, you have two options: pursuing the appeal or applying for PSW. Have you already launched the appeal?

If I were you, I will apply for PSW visa before your current leave expires. However, there are successful cases of out-of-time PSW applications on this forum.

Your discretionary leave has little or no adverse impact on your PSW application especially if you apply before your current leave expires.

PSW WORRIES

re

Post by PSW WORRIES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks Derlin for this useful and encouraging suggestions. My visa has since expired and i have less than 10 days to appeal or i would have overstayed.

Given my somewhat squawk y immigration history, i really do not know if i can succeed with the out of time application for PSW.

Its been quite tough for me, cos i have not had a decent job since 2010, i had to fork out my life savings in applying for the tier 4 visa, for which i was denied. I actually did a window appointment.

I dont know if i can afford to apply for the out of time PSW, if i will be refused.

Any suggetions as to how i can go about the out of time application, e.g using my local MP or engaging a decent lawyer (too broke for that).

Or should I just appeal and finish up my ACCA and pack my bags and head back to my country?

PSW WORRIES

Re: re

Post by PSW WORRIES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:25 pm

derlin wrote:
PSW WORRIES wrote:yes, i left before visa expired and i applied from my home country to come back to finish my dissertation.
If I understand you well, you have two options: pursuing the appeal or applying for PSW. Have you already launched the appeal?

If I were you, I will apply for PSW visa before your current leave expires. However, there are successful cases of out-of-time PSW applications on this forum.

Your discretionary leave has little or no adverse impact on your PSW application especially if you apply before your current leave expires.
my leave has expired.

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:11 pm

14. An applicant will have an established presence studying in the UK if the applicant has current entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as a Tier 4 migrant, Student or as a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist and at the date of application:

(i) has finished a single course that was at least six months long within the applicant's last period of entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain, or

(ii) is applying for continued study on a single course where the applicant has completed at least six months of that course.

The 10 months that you were waiting on appeal should be treated as a continuation of your tier 4 visa. However, do you feel you meet the requirements of the criteria above defining established presence. You definitely do not meet criteria (i). But you have not given sufficient detail to determine if you meet criteria (ii)

PSW WORRIES

Post by PSW WORRIES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:23 pm

quantum1 wrote:14. An applicant will have an established presence studying in the UK if the applicant has current entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as a Tier 4 migrant, Student or as a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist and at the date of application:

(i) has finished a single course that was at least six months long within the applicant's last period of entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain, or

(ii) is applying for continued study on a single course where the applicant has completed at least six months of that course.

The 10 months that you were waiting on appeal should be treated as a continuation of your tier 4 visa. However, do you feel you meet the requirements of the criteria above defining established presence. You definitely do not meet criteria (i). But you have not given sufficient
detail to determine if you meet criteria (ii)
The HO obviously erred my giving me a discretionary leave, instead of a student visa, as instructed by the judge. when u have discretionary leave, u cannot switch to tier 4 or PSW, hence my going back home to apply.

During the wait for my appeal , i had leave to remain as a student, this was however broken when the HO knowingly gave me discretionary leave.

If u read my thread, my visa expired in mid feb, so i enrolled on another course - ACCA., so i dont think i meet criteria 2.

As for criteria 1, though my last entry was less than 6 months, the course i finished (an msc), was more than 6 months long. i only went back home to seek clearance to complete it.
In my opinion, i do qualify for established presence.

PSW WORRIES

Post by PSW WORRIES » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:24 pm

quantum1 wrote:14. An applicant will have an established presence studying in the UK if the applicant has current entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain as a Tier 4 migrant, Student or as a Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist and at the date of application:

The 10 months that you were waiting on appeal should be treated as a continuation of your tier 4 visa. However, do you feel you meet the requirements of the criteria above defining established presence. You definitely do not meet criteria (i). But you have not given sufficient
detail to determine if you meet criteria (ii)
The HO obviously erred my giving me a discretionary leave, instead of a student visa, as instructed by the judge. when u have discretionary leave, u cannot switch to tier 4 or PSW, hence my going back home to apply.

During the wait for my appeal , i had leave to remain as a student, this was however broken when the HO knowingly gave me discretionary leave.

If u read my thread, my visa expired in mid feb, so i enrolled on another course - ACCA., so i dont think i meet criteria 2.

As for criteria 1, though my last entry was less than 6 months, the course i finished (an msc), was more than 6 months long. i only went back home to seek clearance to complete it.
In my opinion, i do qualify for established presence.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:52 pm

On what grounds was your appeal allowed? If it was allowed under the immigration rules, then you should've been granted tier 4 leave, however if it was only allowed on Article 8 grounds to complete your course, then discretionary leave was the correct grant of leave.

For what reason did the UKBA say that you did not qualify for established presence?

PSW WORRIES

Post by PSW WORRIES » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:42 am

Yes Greenie, it was allowed under article 8 grounds. Question is, will this make me unqualified for the PSW? I have met all the criteria for the PSW , except having a tier 4 visa all thru the duration of my course.

Technically, I had tier 4 during the appeal process, but after the discretionary leave was granted for just 1 or 2 months, i dont know if this will rule me out.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 pm

the rules don't require that you had a tier 4 visa or student visa, they require that:

the applicant's periods of UK study and/or research towards his eligible award were undertaken whilst he had entry clearance, leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK that was not subject to a restriction preventing him from undertaking a course of study and/or research.

See Appendix A table 10.

PSW WORRIES

Post by PSW WORRIES » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Good point Greenie, just checked it out. Question is what are my chances for an out of time application for PSW?