ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visa application for UK for non-EU spouse of Irish citizen

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

realhope

visa application for UK for non-EU spouse of Irish citizen

Post by realhope » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi everyone
just a quick question.i am Irish citizen and
i want to apply for my wife (who is non EU)for a visa to visit the UK with me. what should i do? do i apply for a normal UK visa or do i apply for EU family permit? i am confused
thanks
WITH MY BEST WISHES FOR ALL WAITING FOR THE POSTMAN

adlexy

Re: visa application for UK for non-EU spouse of Irish citiz

Post by adlexy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:00 pm

realhope wrote:Hi everyone
i want to apply for my wife (who is non EU)for a visa to visit the UK with me. what should i do? do i apply for a normal UK visa or do i apply for EU family permit? i am confused
thanks
For your spouse, you need to make an application as a visitor. Since you are an EU citizen, this should be issued free of charge and on an accelerated basis.

All the best

realhope

Post by realhope » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:10 am

adlexy wrote:
realhope wrote:Hi everyone
thanks
For your spouse, you need to make an application as a visitor. Since you are an EU citizen, this should be issued free of charge and on an accelerated basis.

All the best
thanks aldexy
can i ask u...do you apply for this visa online too? and how do you get it free of charge?
one final question, under which case do you apply for an EU family permit? as this is the one the uk visa website mentions for nonEU married to EU
many thanks

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:13 am

realhope wrote:...i am Irish citizen and
i want to apply for my wife (who is non EU)for a visa to visit the UK with me...
Are you currently living in Ireland? If so, what stamp is your wife on?

Your wife does >>not need<< a visa in any case. Travelling from Ireland to the UK you shouldn´t encounter any problems to enforce your rights as per linked post, since entry from Ireland into the UK is rarely checked...

realhope

Post by realhope » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:28 pm

ca.funke wrote:
realhope wrote:...i am Irish citizen and
i want to apply for my wife (who is non EU)for a visa to visit the UK with me...
Are you currently living in Ireland? If so, what stamp is your wife on?

Your wife does >>not need<< a visa in any case. Travelling from Ireland to the UK you shouldn´t encounter any problems to enforce your rights as per linked post, since entry from Ireland into the UK is rarely checked...
thanks ca.funke
yes both of us are living in Ireland. she is on stamp 3 (dependent) and we will go to change her stamp to 4(because i became irish recently)
in your link, it talks about residence card....is this the GNIB card you get from immigration in Ireland or is this different?
i know it rarely checked...but we want to be their legally
many thanks

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm

realhope wrote:thanks ca.funke
yes both of us are living in Ireland. she is on stamp 3 (dependent) and we will go to change her stamp to 4(because i became irish recently)
in your link, it talks about residence card....is this the GNIB card you get from immigration in Ireland or is this different?
In >>the link<< already provided above, you find two sections. One "EEA family member Residence Card holder", and the second one "EEA family member without Residence Card".

Stamp 3 and Stamp 4 are both not the card I´m referring to, so what you need to follow is "EEA family member without Residence Card (Part 2):"
realhope wrote:i know it rarely checked...but we want to be their legally
many thanks
As per "EEA family member without Residence Card" you can see why you would be there perfectly legally, as long as you travel together! You do not need a visa!

Rgds, Christian

realhope

Post by realhope » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:15 pm

ca.funke wrote:
realhope wrote:thanks ca.funke
In >>the link<< already provided above, you find two sections. One "EEA family member Residence Card holder", and the second one "EEA family member without Residence Card".

Stamp 3 and Stamp 4 are both not the card I´m referring to, so what you need to follow is "EEA family member without Residence Card (Part 2):"
realhope wrote:i know it rarely checked...but we want to be their legally
many thanks
As per "EEA family member without Residence Card" you can see why you would be there perfectly legally, as long as you travel together! You do not need a visa!

Rgds, Christian
thanks for that
my impression is that their can be arguments about it. so if i want to take the safe option and get a visa, do we apply for a visitor visa or EU family permit?
thanks

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:22 pm

realhope wrote:thanks for that
my impression is that their can be arguments about it. so if i want to take the safe option and get a visa, do we apply for a visitor visa or EU family permit?
thanks
The EEA-family permit is free, while a visitor-visa attracts a (pretty hefty) charge. It´s really up to you ;)

While there can be arguments, I think entering the UK from Ireland is really no big deal, as there are usually no checks. However, last time I travelled this way was in 2008, so I can´t say if anything changed. We went to Northern Ireland, and there were simply no checks whatsoever. Regardless we had all papers ready, but never came to test their effectiveness...

realhope

Post by realhope » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:33 pm

ca.funke wrote:
realhope wrote:thanks for that
thanks
The EEA-family permit is free, while a visitor-visa attracts a (pretty hefty) charge. It´s really up to you ;)

While there can be arguments, I think entering the UK from Ireland is really no big deal, as there are usually no checks. However, last time I travelled this way was in 2008, so I can´t say if anything changed. We went to Northern Ireland, and there were simply no checks whatsoever. Regardless we had all papers ready, but never came to test their effectiveness...
thanks again
so if we want to apply for EEA family permit. what do we need? and is their any disadvantage for get one in comparision with a visitor visa
thankssssss

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Your wife can apply for EEA Fam permit as she is spouse of Irish (EU) citizen. Applications are made online and it is free of cost. Drawback of an EEA Fam permit is that EEA national has to be travelling with their non-EEA spouse or the non-EEA spouse is going to join them to the destination country in your case UK. Whereas on general visitors visa non-EEA national do not have to rely on EEA national to accompany them, they can come and go as they please.

Details can be found here...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:38 am

realhope wrote:thanks again
so if we want to apply for EEA family permit. what do we need? and is their any disadvantage for get one in comparision with a visitor visa
thankssssss
No real difference. The questions asked are (to my knowledge) the same. Only difference I see is that the EEA-FP is free of charge.

Just so you don´t have to search, you should apply >>here<<.

Prepare to answer lots of questions which are illegal to be asked for an EEA-family member!

In case you want to know how to find the application-page from scratch:

jerzy
Newly Registered

Post by jerzy » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:16 am

ca.funke wrote:No real difference. The questions asked are (to my knowledge) the same. Only difference I see is that the EEA-FP is free of charge.
I would say that the only difference is that the person with EEA-FP must: travel with or to join the EEA family member:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/ wrote:However, the non-EEA family member must be travelling to the UK:

- with the EEA national; or
- to join the EEA national here.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:24 am

jerzy wrote:I would say that the only difference is that the person with EEA-FP must: travel with or to join the EEA family member:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/ wrote:However, the non-EEA family member must be travelling to the UK:

- with the EEA national; or
- to join the EEA national here.
free of charge and have to travel together

thanks for that :!: