ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration: With ot Without Lawyer?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Meriem
Newly Registered

Immigration: With ot Without Lawyer?

Post by Meriem » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:17 pm

Hi all,

what do you think:

should we do CANADA Immigration: With ot Without Lawyer?

anyone did it with a lwayer agenecy? if so which one? and what do you think...how usful was it? how much did you have to pay?

what about the processing time? does it make a difference?

Thanks.

NOMADNEAT
Newly Registered

Post by NOMADNEAT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:45 pm

Hi, we're in a similar situation - wanting to emigrate but not chosen a consultant yet. According to the Canadian High Commission (on their website), going with a consultant / lawyer does not improve your chances of getting your visa in so much as they get no favours, however they do at least ensure that your application is filled out correctly and they will co-ordinate it all for you. This is the main reason we are probably going to go with someone, as I'm not the most organised person and will just get really stressed trying to work out what stage of the process needs to be done at what time!

Top of our list is "Hand-in-Hand Immigration" as the guy is very friendly and answered all my questions (some agencies get funny and won't answer questions as they think they're giving away info so you won't need to go with them (how stupid!) and only send out brochures). I rang "Visa Plus" (www.anewlilfeabroad.co.uk) yesterday and they were extremely arrogant, rude and unprofessional so - though it's obviously your choice - I personally wouldn't recommend them purely because of their attitude.

The visa process can be long so you need to ensure you get on with your agent, if you choose to use one.

Hope this helps! :-)

Willy
Newly Registered

Immigration - Representative

Post by Willy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:12 am

HI,

It is important to note that the Government of Canada only recognizes two groups of professionals to legally represent immigration applicants. They must either be a member of the Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants or the Law Society in the jurisdiction in which they practice. Both societies have a very strict code of conduct to govern their members’ professional behavior. This not only protects the consumer/applicant, but also helps ensure competency.

I agree with you that it is your choice if you would like to hire a representative or not. However, If you decide to hire a representative, I would recommend you should find someone who is competent, professional, and with whom you are comfortable (especially considering the fact that you will have a lot of communication with this person, as well as sharing a lot of personal information).

Best regards, and good luck in your application.

Willy Cheng, CCIC
ChengCosgrove Immigration Services
220 Duncan Mill Rd.
Suite 605
Toronto, ON M3B 3J5
(416) 879-8236
willy@chengcosgrove.com
http://www.chengcosgrove.com