ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A stupid mistake, just a worry or genuine problem for ILR?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lahore2664
BANNED

A stupid mistake, just a worry or genuine problem for ILR?

Post by lahore2664 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 am

Dear All,
I have posted this query many times on this blog but never got a satisfactory answer. Few kind people helped me and encouraged me by saying it should be fine but no one has confirmed with regards to UKBA guidlines that my situation is just an unnecessary worry and I shouldn’t be upset with this.
Not a long ago I came back from my home country after getting married. My wife stayed back because she did not have UK visa. I have been on WP (changed three times with three employers, never exceeded stay and never been refused for visas before). Soon after I came back due to some personal circumstances I decided to marry my colleague, a British citizen and we sent the COA application to Home Office. To some this sound ridiculous but we are allowed upto 4 wives at a time. Considering this fact, I was advised to apply for COA declaring I am free to marry in the UK and never been in any marriage before. It was a rookie’s advice as you all know even our Islamic marriage is not registered in the UK.
After applying for COA, I then discussed the matter with a proper lawyer and she advised that it is not appropriate, I withdrew the application. Home Office sent all the documents back and I calmed down. After 4 months of this incident I applied for my wife’s WP dependant visa and she successfully arrive in the UK and since then we are living happily.
I have requested my SAR report recently and it is mentioned that i applied and withdrew it. My ILR is due in couple of months and I was concerned what would be outcome of this if I apply along with my wife as she also qualifies for ILR being my dependant.
My questions are:
1. What would be the consequence of COA application even it was withdrawn
2. When I applied for my wife’s visa from Dubai, this COA incident was four month old, so would they have checked before giving her visa, and i should not worry?
I am very worried and feel like plonker for doing that horrendous mistake, but then i think i was wise to withdraw this application on time, to save my family and future... Please advise brothers and sisters.. thanks a lot for your time in reading this.

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:03 am

Just a personal question if you don't mind:

Does your wife trust you? Islam is not such that you want to marry so you can.

lahore2664
BANNED

Post by lahore2664 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:04 am

Somudro wrote:Just a personal question if you don't mind:

Does your wife trust you?
She does... I have told her.. I know and it was one of the biggest mistake but i was motivated or lured infact to make that decision that time. I know it is moraly not good if you have got a lovely and trusted wife... I just was plonker back then..

Please advise??/

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:08 am

I don’t think so it would cause any problem to your ILR, otherwise they would have never granted your wife visa in the first place.

However if you had not withdrawn your COA and had obtained the spouse visa on the basis of your UK marriage, then you could be in trouble.

lahore2664
BANNED

Post by lahore2664 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:18 am

linkers wrote:I don’t think so it would cause any problem to your ILR, otherwise they would have never granted your wife visa in the first place.

However if you had not withdrawn your COA and had obtained the spouse visa on the basis of your UK marriage, then you could be in trouble.
Thanks a lot! Cheers.... Lessons are learnt hard ways sometimes...

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I don't think its an issue. You have not done anything wrong in terms of any rules. It should not count against you.

MelC

Post by MelC » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:45 pm

when you say your "islamic" marriage, I assume you mean that was to the work colleague? and that is was "orfi" or "nikah mut'ah" or some such?

polygamy may well be acceptable in your country of origin, but it isn't in the UK.

as you withdrew your COA and your legal wife was granted her visa, as others have said, it would seem that there is no problem, as if there were your wife would not have been granted her visa as you may only have one wife in the UK at any one time.

It is difficult sometimes to reconcile islam with life in the UK, but its up to you do that and what is OK somewhere else might not be here, i think you have learnt that, and i wish you both well in the future.
MelC