ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PSW -> Tier 2: Choosing an appropriate job title from SOC

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mancala Hour

PSW -> Tier 2: Choosing an appropriate job title from SOC

Post by Mancala Hour » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:27 am

Hi guys,

I hope you can help me with something. I'm presently on a PSW and am in the process of changing over to the Tier 2 General. I'm trying to choose an appropriate SOC code and then, from that, a job title.

I work for a PR agency. I could pick the 'public relations officers' code (3433), but under that are the following job titles, all with their varying salaries:

Information officer
Senior information officer
Press officer
Senior press officer
Public relations consultant
Publicity assistant

The trouble is, all of these are very similar and could essentially mean the same thing, and there is no further guidance into the differences between them. I have a PR job title (senior account executive), so I could fit into either one of the 'senior' roles, although my salary would only fit into 'senior information officer'. Can I just pick that? How do I know whether what I do as a 'senior account executive' matches up with the role of 'senior information officer'?

But then there's the fact that what I actually do in my job description only hits 1 of the 4 bullet points of category 3433's 'examples of job tasks': the one that pertains to writing, as I don't do much strategizing or presenting or monitoring PR (which are the other 3 bullet points). I mainly deal in internal corporate communications -- lots of writing, rarely deal with press, etc. So I could ostensibly go with SOC code 3412 for 'authors, writers', which has a very low salary requirement. But will they take exception to the fact that I work for a PR agency but am not aligning myself with the actual PR job category (3433)?

Anybody have any clue? Thanks in advance for your help! x