ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Preparation For Immigration (From UK)

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Christopher
Newly Registered

Preparation For Immigration (From UK)

Post by Christopher » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm currently 18, and am considering emmigrating to US for work after unversity (I will be 22 when I finish, since I am just about to begin a 3 year bachelors course in economics at LSE and am planning on doing my masters the year after).

I am a full British citizen, as are my parents, and I was born in England. 23 years ago my uncle became a US citizen by marriage, but he passed away 4 years ago, so my closest link to the US is my aunt (by law) and my 2 cousins (By blood). I don't know whether that link would have any bearing on my application or not.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of what I could do now to make my emmigration easier in 4 years time (Such as anything that would reduce the 5 years wait time to apply for citizenship), and would I be able to hold dual British/US nationality?

I am especially conscious of the debt that I will apply with; I have estimated that it will be around £35,000-40,000 by that time (Given the cost of living in London while I study).

I'm just after a point in the right direction really and then I'll post back if I have any more specific queries.

Thanks alot,

Christopher

uslawyer
Newly Registered

Post by uslawyer » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:45 pm

Hi Christopher,

You have 2 options - (1) given the high cost of living in London you might consider transferring to an university in the U.S. and live with your aunt to save living expenses or (2) start scouting for potential U.S. companies who are willing to sponsor you for a work visa when you get your master's degree.

[Moderator edit : No advertising allowed]