ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport needed panic

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

shhh
Newly Registered

Passport needed panic

Post by shhh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:46 am

Hiya!

My husband and I got married in December 2011, and with my visa renewal upcoming, we put off our honeymoon until April and seeing some ill relatives. I applied for a switch from Tier 1 (General) to FLR(M) in January; however, the Post Office lost my application for three weeks, so the UKBA didn't take payment or confirm receipt until 6 February. Now I'm starting to panic because I've not had my biometric letter.

Does anyone have any advice about what to do? I'd really appreciate any insight or help.

Thank you!
Last edited by shhh on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:45 am

If you withdraw your application for travel before a decision, then you may apply for a spouse visa from your home country.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

shhh
Newly Registered

Post by shhh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:32 pm

vinny wrote:If you withdraw your application for travel before a decision, then you may apply for a spouse visa from your home country.
Yes, I see your points. I don't think I can do that because a) I have a job here, which I can't do in my home country; b) I don't have another 600GBP to spend; c) I don't have the money to go back to my home country.

Even if I could go back to my home country, how long would I have to stay there to get an appointment?

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:43 pm

I feel for your situation. However, I can't see any way you're going to get your passport back in time. At the moment people are being invited for biometrics who applied in late January, so your letter could still be a couple of weeks away. Most people are reporting a further wait of about four weeks post biometrics. When you say the website told you it would take six weeks max I presume you're not referring to the UKBA website, which gives no such assurance. Even if the post office had not lost your application I'm still not sure you would have got the documents back in time. In any case I think UKBA is extremely unlikely to fast track your application simply to fit with your travel plans.

It's tough, but if I were you, I would start planning to reschedule the honeymoon now - you may find that accomodation providers and the like are willing to give you a credit for a future stay or some of your money back, provided you give them reasonable notice, and make it clear that it is an issue out of your control.

Good luck!