ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job prospects while application is pending

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

offstumpfail
Newly Registered

Job prospects while application is pending

Post by offstumpfail » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi,

I'm all set to submit my Tier 1 renewal, despite my repeated best efforts I have been unable to secure a PEO slot before the fee increase on april 6th and thus I am deciding whether to pay an agency a premium for same-day service or to just do it by post.

Now I am currently also looking for a new job, and have a twinge of concern that if I send my application away by post then prospective employers may be wary of the 'pending' status of my renewal, even though I definitely 100% qualify.

Does anyone have any experience or advice of this?

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:14 pm

The advice is, to stay with the same employer while your application is in process. The new employer might not accept the fact that your application is pending and you are covered by section 3c of immigration act. In most cases the job agencies will not forward your CV to the client if they come to know if this.
Give me more Karma (+)

offstumpfail
Newly Registered

Post by offstumpfail » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm no longer with my previous employer... but thanks, and noted.

Edit: as evidence of the expected success of the application I could provide an employer with the print out from the points calculator, not sure how much water this would hold though.

there should definitely be a tax deduction for immigration lawyers fees. If this is the only way to get my leave renewed and get paying taxes again quickly it should be a deduction.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Employers want to see a valid visa with a distant expiry date. Anyone who doesn't have this, e.g. visa close to expiry or being processed, is a risk. Even existing employers are hesitant - the company where I am contracting would only extend my contract a few weeks at a time while my extension was in progress (even with proof it was being processed and after I had been working for them for more than 6 months at the time of extension). For a new employer, the risk is even higher because they invest time in recruitment and training and then (from their perspective) you don't get your extension and you have to leave. There are plenty of stories on this forum about companies who won't extend contracts until the person has their extension approved which may take months. In a competitive employment environment, anything that puts you at a disadvntage compared with other candidates should be avoided.

As for the lawyer's fees, you would need to ask your accountant whether you can actually deduct. Another way of thinking about it is the loss of earnings if you go for a postal extension are are un-hireable for months. Probably you would break-even quite quickly on the legal costs for a same-day extension.

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Re: Job prospects while application is pending

Post by rakeysh.patel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:44 pm

I thought any employer would like to see a proof/eligibility to work in the UK. While your application is being considered, you would not have one. Remember, the letter from UKBA would not suffice as it does not guarantee a visa. Also, in current market, companies are least likely to be take the hit with £10k fine because of any employee !!!
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...