ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Prospective Student Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cooperman123

Prospective Student Visa

Post by cooperman123 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Can someone tell me how long a prospective student visa can stay in the uk? is it 6 months or 11 months

I want to apply for a prospective student visa for my girlfriend. I need to know what is required as proof of intention to study. I have a brochure from the local college with information about the course but it does not show prices or dates.
I intend to submit this as evidence but is it enough?

Thanks

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Prospective Student visa is a 6 month visa for people who need to finalise their arrangements for their Tier 4 course of study in the UK. You may be able to switch to a Tier 4 Student Visa after you have chosen your school and have obtained Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies.

You can come to the UK as a prospective student if you intend to study in the UK under Tier 4 of the points-based system but you have not completed all the arrangements for your course of study. For example, you can come here as a prospective student if you have been provisionally accepted on a course, with final acceptance dependent on an interview.

You should have a clear idea of the type and purpose of course that you want to study, and you should already have been in touch with educational institutions in the UK. If you only have a vague intention to study for qualifications or to enter an unspecified university or other institution, you cannot come here as a prospective student.

You must be able to show that you will start your course within 6 months of arrival in the UK. In some cases, you may be able to provide this evidence in a letter of acceptance or prospectus giving details of the course.

If you already have an unconditional offer of a place on a course, which you intend to accept, you should not come here as a prospective student - instead, you should apply to enter the UK under Tier 4.

You must show that you intend to:

1.) Switch into Tier 4 of the points-based system to begin your course within 6 months of arriving in the UK, and then leave the UK at the end of your course.
2.) Leave the UK when your permission to stay as a prospective student expires, if you have not been able to switch into Tier 4.

You must also be able to show that you have enough money to meet the costs of your intended course and accommodation, and to support yourself, without working or help from public funds.

help4uk
BANNED

Post by help4uk » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:07 pm

its basicly tourist visa talk to around and go back

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:40 pm

help4uk wrote:its basicly tourist visa talk to around and go back
What are you talking about?

cooperman123

Post by cooperman123 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks for your reply. To be honest I want my girlfriend to come to the uk to study English and come for a holiday. I employed a company for £550 to help me with applying for a visa but I'm not satisfied with their advice. She has very limited English. I thought the best way she should learn English was to come here for 6 months and study at the local college part time so that by the end of the 6 months she would have at the very least basic English
The local college suggested she does a 4 hours per week English as a foreign language course which starts at the very bottom level. It sounded a great idea at the time. I've got their student pack and it sounds great. It doesn't go into great detail about prices and dates. But I was told its not necessary to prove I have a course for her but to maybe just show there are courses available.
These courses are very short 6 week courses for people learning English for the first time. They do not result in a qualification but it says you can then apply for a full time English course.
I feel now that it's all too vague what we are trying to do. The college will not provide any acceptance on the course until they have seen her and made an assessment of her English. My other option was for a general tourist visa for 6 months but it says she cannot study. So it would be great for her to come for a holiday but she won't be able to study English properly. The purpose for her visit was for a holiday and to learn English. So I am more confused than ever what visa to apply for. The reasons for her visit here are perfectly genuine but I don't want to apply for the wrong visa and have it rejected. I just think I've been given bad advice somehow.
Am I wasting my time and money applying for the wrong visa?

Sure, the holiday and the 6 months here together in England is important but not at the expense of her forgoing a chance to learn English professionally. Any advice would be really appreciated!

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:50 am

The prospective student visa is not appropriate - the point of it is to come to attend interviews/finalise plans for the course you want to study and then switch into tier 4.

Just having a brochure is too vague, and a basic English course for 4 hours a week would not meet tier 4 requirements.

Student visitor is a better option, but she does need an unconditional offer on a course and a visa letter from the college

See student visitor

Did the advisor you saw actually advise that prospective student was the correct option?

cooperman123

Post by cooperman123 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:57 pm

Yes the advisor recommended the prospective student visa. But I can see now that the student visitor is more appropriate so thanks for that. To be honest my college isn't all that helpful. I just want her to take a short course of English language either full or part time without having to spend thousands of pounds. I agree 4 hours a week is too vague and it's probably not going to be enough for her anyway but when I first started enquiring about it at the local college they recommended a full time course which was going to cost about £6000 or £7000. I'm sure it is a fantastic course but maybe too excessive. I think I'm going to have to go back to the college and ask for their help
But I really appreciate your advice. Im not going to put the visa application in until I am 100% sure it's the right one

Dukericson
Newly Registered

Request

Post by Dukericson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:41 pm

Hi, I´m Duke from Cali, I got a conditional offer from a University in London, but I need to raise my actual English level, so I have a question, May I take an English course with the "Prospective Student visa"?

Any information will be helpful!

Deviser

Re: Request

Post by Deviser » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:18 pm

Dukericson wrote:Hi, I´m Duke from Cali, I got a conditional offer from a University in London, but I need to raise my actual English level, so I have a question, May I take an English course with the "Prospective Student visa"?

Any information will be helpful!
Yes, if you fullfil the requirement of Prospective Student Visa and get the visa, you can start studies anytime. You can take any course which help you to make progress towards your intended main course of study.

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Re: Prospective Student Visa

Post by sheraz7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:55 pm

cooperman123 wrote:Can someone tell me how long a prospective student visa can stay in the uk? is it 6 months or 11 months

I want to apply for a prospective student visa for my girlfriend. I need to know what is required as proof of intention to study. I have a brochure from the local college with information about the course but it does not show prices or dates.
I intend to submit this as evidence but is it enough?

Thanks
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... e-student/
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS