ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! EU - Ukraine assistance

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

random3s
Newly Registered

Help! EU - Ukraine assistance

Post by random3s » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:57 am

Hi all..

I am seeking advice navigating the mine field which is EU law regarding non EU citizens.

I myself am a UK citizen with interests (family) in Germany. I have lived in Germany but now reside in the UK. My fiancé is a Ukrainian national, and we aim to apply for the fiancé visa in the UK, and marry in the UK sometime this year.

After the marriage we would like to relocate to Germany, in order to be close to my family members who already reside in Germany.

In this case there will be no employment within Germany, as I am employed offshore for a norwegian company.

My only question is, if we are legally married within the UK, would my Ukrainian wife be able to join me in Germany, and apply for thу standard resident pass in order to remain there?

I realise that this forum is for EU questions only, however any useful advice or information regarding marriage to a non EU citizen would be appreciated, either here or via PM, we have been looking at various options and information and it is an absolute minefield to negotiate.

Many thanks in advance!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:08 pm

it would be possible to live in Germany with your wife to be. Why don't you read the directive to get an idea of what your rights would be:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 123:EN:PDF

Bear in mind that Norway is a member of the EEA and the directive also extends to them (for the most part).

MelC

Post by MelC » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Just a thought, and an option,

why not marry in the UKRAINE, which would avoid the costs of the fiance visa and its regulations, and YOU relocate to Germany and your husband has the right to accompany you.

there may be many reasons why you don't want to do this, or you may not have considered it as an option.

as has been stated, have a good read of the directve (204/38) and also the guide that accompanies it, it will help you make some decisions.
MelC

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:33 pm

MelC wrote:Just a thought, and an option,

why not marry in the UKRAINE, which would avoid the costs of the fiance visa and its regulations, and YOU relocate to Germany and your husband has the right to accompany you.

there may be many reasons why you don't want to do this, or you may not have considered it as an option.

as has been stated, have a good read of the directve (204/38) and also the guide that accompanies it, it will help you make some decisions.
Where to get married is a whole different ball-game of course, but you are right to point out that the OP does not have to get married in the UK (might upset his mum though).

MelC

Post by MelC » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:08 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
MelC wrote:Just a thought, and an option,

Where to get married is a whole different ball-game of course, but you are right to point out that the OP does not have to get married in the UK (might upset his mum though).
its one of those only when you have all the options in front of you can you make the best decision ?
MelC

random3s
Newly Registered

Post by random3s » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 pm

Thankyou for all of the responses.

I have considered a marrage in the Ukraine however i was under the impression that marriage certificates issued there arent taken fully serious in other nations.

Am i right to assume that once in germany my wife would be able to apply for a resident card, we would like to travel outside of the eu without needing a shengen visa to return into the eu.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:44 pm

I can't see why marriages in the Ukraine would not be treated seriously.

If your wife (once married, as you haven't married yet) is in possession of residence card from Germany she would not need Schengen visas.

panyatna
Newly Registered

Post by panyatna » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:45 pm

Do not apply for fiancé visa unless you want to slit your wrists. Marry in Ukraine and move to Germany.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:41 pm

random3s wrote:Thankyou for all of the responses.

I have considered a marrage in the Ukraine however i was under the impression that marriage certificates issued there arent taken fully serious in other nations.

Am i right to assume that once in germany my wife would be able to apply for a resident card, we would like to travel outside of the eu without needing a shengen visa to return into the eu.
A marriage in the Ukraine is just as serious as one done in the UK.

Once you are married (whereever you marry) and living in Germany, she will get a Residence Card. With that she will not require a visa to move in Schengen or reenter. She will continue to require a visa to enter the US, and the UK. But Ireland will be an easy visit.

After you have worked for a while (3 mon?) in Norway as a married person, you can also move back to the UK on the basis of EU law.