ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do new immigr. rules usually apply to current visa holders?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

maverick1983
Newly Registered

Do new immigr. rules usually apply to current visa holders?

Post by maverick1983 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:06 am

I'm on a 2 years partner leave to remain (was on student, post-study and tier 1 before that since 2006). I should be eligible to apply for the ILR in January 2013. Both me and my partner are in permanent jobs but she's making around £20K, while I earn £60K. We plan to marry soon but we haven't chosen the date yet.

However, the Home Secretary proposes to increase to probation period to 5 years and introduce the minimum salary requirement of £25,700: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... kdown.html

If this happens, is it possible that instead of giving me the ILR, I will be given a further 3 years leave to remain? Also, if she doesn't make enough money in 2012 to sponsor me for the ILR, what happens? Will I have to leave the country and apply from abroad?

I know that nobody can read the future but there must have been similar situations in the past. Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.

Smam

Post by Smam » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:23 am

Hi

It really depends when the rules announced that how it'll be applicable and to whom it'll be applicable.

Well I can only advice you one thing that why dont you get married asap as you've said by your self that no one can see the future changes. I believe that if I have to do some thing tomorrow and its really important why dont I get it out of the way today and lets be safe and sound for the future.