ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council TAX Discount

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dasavathar

Council TAX Discount

Post by Dasavathar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi All,

I am now in my Tier 1 General Visa. I am getting council tax discount (50%) for holidng a different national passport. I havent asked for this, the staff working in my council said i am entilted for this so now i am availing this.

When i enquired with some of my friends, i come to know that not all council is giving this discount.

Is this considered as a discount or benefit? will this affect in getting ILR?

My doubt is: while some one staying in UK as a student theyare fully exempted from council tax and they are not eligible for the public funds aswell. So, the discount i am getting will be similar to this?

Plese advise me. If this is considered as a public fund, can I pay the money back to Council and get this clean?

Dasavathar

Post by Dasavathar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Any seniors/moderators pls reply to the post. Your views are much appreciated.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:30 pm

what do you mean you are getting a discount for having a 'different national passport' which council is this?

any2002uk
Newly Registered

Post by any2002uk » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm

im also worry that im sponsor but the council tax discount exempt is on my husband name, will it affect his f.l.r which expire in 3 weeks time, reply urgent, should we stop cancel this to save his visa being reject? or change bill name to my name as im sponsor? we joint claim. husband on no recourse to public fund, it is affect his extending visa or not?

Dasavathar

Post by Dasavathar » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:08 pm

Hi Greenie,

its Broxtowe Borough Coucil.

50% discounts
A 50% discount may apply if:-
a property is no-one's only or main home; and it is furnished
a property is a second home;

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Dasavathar wrote:Hi Greenie,

its Broxtowe Borough Coucil.

50% discounts
A 50% discount may apply if:-
a property is no-one's only or main home; and it is furnished
a property is a second home;
so where does the discount for holding a 'different national passport' come in?

sh1974
Newly Registered

Post by sh1974 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi
I'm in the same situation,I'm on tier1 and my ilr due in oct 2012.
We are sharing 4 bed room flat with single mother.
We use to pay £118 per month but since this march we got a 50% council tax
Rebate.but my wife name mention on the council tax bill slong with the lady which we are sharing flat.
When I ask the lady she said she has been to citizen advice beraue and they suggested her that she can get discount on council tax if the aanother adult living with her over 18 years of age.
I know that we are not eligible for any benefit.
My main concern is that going to create any problem with my ilr or my wife ilr?
The lady which we are sharing the flat is on ilr and she got 3 year son.
In the council tax bill is written:
Mrs the lady name
Ms my wife name

Please help me I'm in stress.
Thanks
Shaw

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:34 pm

sh1974 wrote:Hi
I'm in the same situation,I'm on tier1 and my ilr due in oct 2012.
We are sharing 4 bed room flat with single mother.
We use to pay £118 per month but since this march we got a 50% council tax
Rebate.but my wife name mention on the council tax bill slong with the lady which we are sharing flat.
When I ask the lady she said she has been to citizen advice beraue and they suggested her that she can get discount on council tax if the aanother adult living with her over 18 years of age.
I know that we are not eligible for any benefit.
My main concern is that going to create any problem with my ilr or my wife ilr?
The lady which we are sharing the flat is on ilr and she got 3 year son.
In the council tax bill is written:
Mrs the lady name
Ms my wife name

Please help me I'm in stress.
Thanks
Shaw
why isn't your name on the bill?

what is the purpose of the discount? Is it a discount or is someone claiming council tax benefit?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:22 am

Greenie, am I wrong in thinking that everyone is supposed to pay their own separate council tax bills when in a shared building? I've lived in shared accomm before and everyone was treated as if their room was a seperate flat. Obviously if a couple lived in a room, they wouldn't have to pay twice over.
I tell it like it is.

sh1974
Newly Registered

Post by sh1974 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:51 am

Hi greenie
Thanks for your reply.
The lady which we are sharing flat she is entilte to claim council tax benefit and some one in citizen beraue advise her to give the name of second adult sharing the flat,so she has given my wife name.
Apart from that my name,my wife name and her name are register in council election register.
What shall I do now? Shall I call council and ask them that my wife as well is a part of council tax benefit or leave as it is.
I'm very much worried about my and my family ilr which is due in october this year.
(The lady we are sharing flat she is single mother indian national but she has ilr)
Thanks
Shaw

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:16 am

ElenaW wrote:Greenie, am I wrong in thinking that everyone is supposed to pay their own separate council tax bills when in a shared building? I've lived in shared accomm before and everyone was treated as if their room was a seperate flat. Obviously if a couple lived in a room, they wouldn't have to pay twice over.
it depends on whether the property is considered to be a house of multiple occupation or not as to whether the property would recieve separate council tax bills.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:44 am

sh1974 wrote:Hi greenie
Thanks for your reply.
The lady which we are sharing flat she is entilte to claim council tax benefit and some one in citizen beraue advise her to give the name of second adult sharing the flat,so she has given my wife name.
Apart from that my name,my wife name and her name are register in council election register.
What shall I do now? Shall I call council and ask them that my wife as well is a part of council tax benefit or leave as it is.
I'm very much worried about my and my family ilr which is due in october this year.
(The lady we are sharing flat she is single mother indian national but she has ilr)
Thanks
Shaw

Who owns the property - is it the single mother or is she also a tenant? do you have a shared tenancy or separate tenancies? Do you occupy only part of the property for which you pay rent or do you all share the rent on the whole property which you occupy together (apart from of course that you have separate bedrooms?)

i think you need to find out what exactly is being applied to the council tax bill - is it a discount and if so what for, and/or is it council tax benefit, and if so who is claiming this. You also need to ensure the council is aware that you are also living in the property to ensure that if there is a discount to be applied, it has been applied correctly (don't assume because you are on the electoral roll that they have taken you into account for council tax purposes).

sh1974
Newly Registered

Post by sh1974 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:12 am

Thanks greenie
We share a rent equaly £1100 pm(I pay £550 and lady pay£550)
On the council tax bill it appear as a council tax benefit not a discount.
We rent a property from some one else privatly(no council housing).
On the council tax bill two names mention first name is the lady name and second name is my wife name .
I want to know this council tax benefit is going to create any problem to get an ilr for me or my wife.
We have been living in uk for more than 8 years and we didn't claim any benefit at all.
Thanks in advance
Shaw