ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Looking for clarification about EEA Family Permit

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

toneee
Newly Registered

Looking for clarification about EEA Family Permit

Post by toneee » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:45 pm

Hi, I've been reading through this forum and researching immigration laws, since my Zimbabwean wife was refused entry clearance to the UK.

I am a British citizen, and I am fully prepared to move to another country to be with my wife if she does not get her visa again. Of course, Zimbabwe is out of the question - there's no work there, and the government doesn't take too kindly to British journalists.

So I'm thinking of taking the EEA Family Permit route, which the moderators here kindly suggested. I just want to ask a few questions to see if I understand it properly:

1) Do I need to be working or have money to support us before she can join me in another EEA country?

2) Will the refusal of her UK entry clearance and the overstay of her UK visitor's visa be reason for another country to deny her the family permit?

3) Is the Surinder Singh route still available, taking into account my wife's immigration history?

Any other general advice or sources of info regarding the EEA Family Permit are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Looking for clarification about EEA Family Permit

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:23 am

toneee wrote:Hi, I've been reading through this forum and researching immigration laws, since my Zimbabwean wife was refused entry clearance to the UK.

I am a British citizen, and I am fully prepared to move to another country to be with my wife if she does not get her visa again. Of course, Zimbabwe is out of the question - there's no work there, and the government doesn't take too kindly to British journalists.

So I'm thinking of taking the EEA Family Permit route, which the moderators here kindly suggested. I just want to ask a few questions to see if I understand it properly:

1) Do I need to be working or have money to support us before she can join me in another EEA country?

2) Will the refusal of her UK entry clearance and the overstay of her UK visitor's visa be reason for another country to deny her the family permit?

3) Is the Surinder Singh route still available, taking into account my wife's immigration history?

Any other general advice or sources of info regarding the EEA Family Permit are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Others with greater knowledge of the immigration rules may want to comment but my take on this is:

1. Possibly yes.

2. I don't see how they could refuse on this basis. However it might not be possible to apply for the permit at that country's UK consulate.

3. Why would this be relevant if you were going to another EEA country to settle there?

If you decide to settle in another EEA state, do think about your wife's long term pathway to citizenship in that state. EEA states are under no obligation to offer a naturalisation facility, and in some states it's much more difficult compared to others.

toneee
Newly Registered

Post by toneee » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:53 am

Thank you